Full size hens laying bantam eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polychickens, Aug 26, 2007.

1. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    LOL! How many weeks do I have to wait until these little eggs give way to the real deal?

I have been getting eggs for 3 weeks now and not one of them would even be considered 'medium' as per the store egg cartons.

My wife is quick to point out that patience is expensive. I have the feed receipts to prove it. I am pretty sure we have paid nearly $50 EACH for our tiny eggs if we did the math.

Chickens are a fun hobby, but I am not sure how long I can afford to pay so much for the eggs.

Polychickens

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Ummm, what kind of chickens do you have? I got my first eggs the first of August and I'm just now starting to get really decent sized eggs. However, I've got 20 new hens so I've still got plenty of those little eggs and only half of them have started laying so far. [​IMG]

Honestly, if you're looking on saving money for having hens in your back yard as opposed to buying a dozen eggs a week for $2 at the grocery store, get rid of the chickens now. [​IMG]

But if you can be patient for just a few more weeks, you'll fall in love with your farm fresh eggs.

Tell your wife that the eggs that she's eating are far healthier than those store bought eggs. [​IMG]

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    chickens are not for saving money. they are for eating healthier and such. you will NOT save money, most likely never even break even. but you gotta admit - they are delicious! [​IMG]

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i got my first TINY egg today...it has probably cost in the realm of $1000 so far with the coop, birds, feed, power, time, bedding, roosts, nesting boxes, lights, run etc...could probably have gotten it cheaper at the store but thats not really the point is it.

5. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Finally!!!
    It seems as if the chickens read this thread, because today I got the first big egg! It won't even seat in the container for 'large' eggs. Also got a couple that might be considered 'medium' so it is a good day.

Polychickens

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:You can say that again. I sell almost ALL my eggs and only break even on feed....

Edit: And I sell them for $3 a dozen...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  7. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I just had my first omlet from my own chicken's eggs....it was wonderful.
    Worth every penny of who knows how much I have spent so far.
    Just going out and collecting eggs that I have had something to do with is just too cool!

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, just knowing that you aren't supporting the abused caged commercial eggs is priceless in my opinion. Mine cost prolly near 5 bucks a dozen to produce and are worth every penny. Just ask my happy free range hens and they will surly agree!

bigzio

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you've figured that its cost you $50 per egg, then yo need to quit feeding them caviar! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by