Fully developed chick not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dwbrinton, Apr 9, 2009.

1. dwbrinton

dwbrinton New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Hi, newbie here,

Just went through the process with 24 "guaranteed" fertile eggs from farm store. Incubator is the 40+ egg with auto turner, styrofoam, basin for water, metal screen, etc. Had temp at 99.5 the entire time, etc., etc. Basically, I think I followed appropriate directions. Candling throughout the process showed veins and embryos, active movements, etc.

Anyway, only about 8 of the 24 actually hatched on days 21-23, most of them from the white eggs, leghorns I think. Now we are at day 27 and most of the brown eggs haven't hatched.

So, I bust one open this morning and there is a fully formed chick inside, no movement, no apparent sign of life, no foul smell.

What is going on?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I found this "troubleshooting guide" online at

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/trouble.htm#LD

Maybe it will help answer your questions? There are so many factors involved in incubating eggs... sometimes it seems a hatch will go along perfectly and have a poor result for no reason while another hatch can be fraught with errors and produce a brooder full of fuzzy butts... I wish I knew the how and why but then sometimes "it just is".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by