Fully feathered, too hot VS too cold

Badchickenpun

Songster
May 9, 2022
Central Indiana
Getting ready to put the new chicks outside. They are now around 6+ weeks old, getting too big for the brooder.
Fully feathered, have been for a few weeks. My run is not done, but the coop is. Plenty of air flow and light (north facing windows and east/west vents).
The next couple days will be in the 90's, then it will be in then sixty and lows in 40's.
Should I be more concerned about giving them a few days of heat? Or putting them out with a couple colder days on the horizon? Or should I just wait until things normalize next week in the 70's?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, this is a good question. I'm going to add to this! I'm debating whether to move my 6.5 week old chicks outside tomorrow or at the end of the 90-degree heat wave. Would it be all right to move them outside in the high heat, or is it better to wait for more moderate May temps on Sunday night into Monday?

I brood outdoors, which is known to make chicks feather-out faster, but I just put my chicks who hatched on Easter Sunday into the integration pen in the big coop. They haven't been using their brooder plate so they were certainly ready.

They need to learn to adapt to changing temperatures.

Yes, heat can be a problem, but if they have plenty of shade, plenty of ventilation, and access to the ground so that they can dig in to the cooler layers they ought to be fine. :)

I brood outdoors, which is known to make chicks feather-out faster, but I just put my chicks who hatched on Easter Sunday into the integration pen in the big coop. They haven't been using their brooder plate so they were certainly ready.

They need to learn to adapt to changing temperatures.

Yes, heat can be a problem, but if they have plenty of shade, plenty of ventilation, and access to the ground so that they can dig in to the cooler layers they ought to be fine. :)
There's an awning over their enclosed run. We're having 95 degree weather on Saturday and 91 degree weather on Sunday, and then it's going down to the 80s/70s throughout the week. I was thinking Sunday would be a good day to move them.

I'm thinking Sunday, too. Highs will be in the 60's but lower in the upper 40's. The brooder plate has been gone for several weeks.
The room they are in is about 54 degree at all times.
I think to start they might be better in the cool than the heat.
I can't put them in the run for a few day, but next week will be mild, so I hope it will be ok.
This weekend will be a tell for how much progress I can make on the run. Lots of mesh to hang.

Back
Top Bottom