Fully formed egg covered with membrane

chxmommajess

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2019
Hi!
I have 4 Isa browns that are 6 months old. They started laying about two weeks ago. First one... then 2...then three...then finally I got a fourth egg today. I’d already collected three from the coop at 11 am (they lay early). When I looked in their roost just visiting there was another egg, fully formed, good color, but there was a loose skin like membrane around it almost completely. They all seem healthy, I know weird stuff happens when they start laying. I just want to know if this is cause for alarm. Please advise !

Attachments

• 4E7AFF89-2400-4D41-9943-8167A8A46C6B.jpeg
    4E7AFF89-2400-4D41-9943-8167A8A46C6B.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 47
Probably, hopefully a glitch.

This is caused by 'counter peristalsis'(I think that's what it's called)
...a fully shelled egg backs up in the system and gets another coating of membrane.
I think you’re right but in most cases it’s a full shell. I just hope it’s not harmful to her. I hope she’s just figuring it out.

Do you mean a shelled egg within a shelled egg?
I think that's much more rare than just an extra membrane.
The first egg was a normal, solid, egg. Around it was like a very soft shell. It wasn’t completely surrounding the egg, but I think they had been picking at it. It was more like a skin/ membrane around the egg.

The first egg was a normal, solid, egg. Around it was like a very soft shell. It wasn’t completely surrounding the egg, but I think they had been picking at it. It was more like a skin/ membrane around the egg.
Loose though, not fit to the egg

Back
Top Bottom