Fun @ the Feedstore--Sexing StraightRun Chicks for Customers, LOL.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
One of the local feedstores happened to get some Barred Rock chicks in today when I had to go for shavings. They were straight run chicks, very cheap, just $1.25/each, from Ideal. An older couple was looking at the chicks and when one of the chicks got out, I said something like, Back in there, Little Boy....the man said,"Oh, you know how to sex these?" Well, I sure do! Barred Rocks are my thing. So, the couple got sexed pullets out of the straight run bin without having to order 25 pullets, pay extra, and wait for Pullet Day, LOL. Bet the feedstore wouldn't be too happy with me if I stood there all day and sold all the pullets and left the baby roos, LOL!
gig.gif

I got home and when I pulled the mail out of the box, there was a nice card addressed to Cynthia "Speckled Hen", LOL, from one of my nicest customers. Wonder what Mike the mail carrier thought.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Pullets: small, well-defined headspot, darker leg fronts, very black down color

Cockerels: larger, irregular, splothier headspot, lighter leg color, faded/silvery-looking down color (lighter overall color)

This works about 90% of the time.

Sure, just wait six weeks and see whose comb and wattles are bright pink, LOL. Actually, most cockerels have thicker legs than pullets, so sometimes you get a clue from that before the comb turns.

I keep hearing about BR being sweet. Is that true? If I could get one more chicken, I think it would be one of those!

Specks - If I go to Fla this summer, could I stop by and pick one up? Just fooling with you. Really, are they that sweet and easy going?

Back
Top Bottom