fun with Sylvie

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I change the bedding on my chicks brooder every day, but some times they get the poopy build up on their toes. If is really tough and crusty, I soak the toes in warm water then try and VERY careful gently tug the balls off the toes, when softened, also under the feet also. When the feet dry off, I rub vaseline on the feet to keep and hopefully keep the poop off.

Last edited:
I change the bedding on my chicks brooder every day, but some times they get the poopy build up on their toes. It is really tough and crusty, I soak the toes in warm water then try and VERY careful gently tug the balls off the toes, when softened, also under the feet also. When the feet dry off, I rub vaseline on the feet to keep and hopefully keep the poop off.

How big (feet by feet) is your broodr, how many chicks are you brooding and with what are you bedding? For that much accumulation to occur with daily maintenance there is some factor needing adjustment

Last edited:
I don't always get a chick with a crusty butt, but if I do I have to deal with it. "STUFF happens."

Last edited:
I do get crusty butt sometimes.

EDT: I do get a crusty butt on some of my chicks sometimes. Usually when it's cold outside (broody chicks) or I need to up the brooder heat a notch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom