fungal infection, nystatin, and a questionable vet...help!!

karen+3chickens :

That was very helpful, and very overwhelming information. The vet only took a sampling from her crop so he could look at it under the microscope.
So...I will keep her on the nystatin. She is with the other chickens outside right now with access to layer pellets and water only. I'm assuming pellets are considered okay as they easily disolve. The ground is pretty much dirt, so she'll only get a little grit and bugs there.
I will give her some acidophilus tomorrow, mixed with a little yogurt.
I'll read the article tomorrow, it's getting kind of late here
smile.png

Oi Vey! Am I forgetting anything?

Pellets, yes.
Sample, not surprised.
Probiotics, yay.
Article, easy but yeah long.
Oi vey, I'm sorry.
smile.png
You don't have to remember all this; just book mark it. Otherwise your brain might explode having it all come in at once. And your eyes are probably already crossed. Get some rest! Rested people make better chicken doctors. /wink Night night.​

Hattie's crop seemed a little smaller and a little more firm this morning, which I thought was a good sign. She is starting to poop more solid now. I just gave her the 4th dose (2 days) of nystatin, but her crop seems to have ballooned again during the day. I massaged it (not sure if that will help or not). How long does it take to notice the effects of nystatin? I'm probably rushing it, but I was hoping to see more improvement by now. She is still laying so must be feeling okay. The dry heaves seemed to have slowed a little too. This is so frustrating!

I'd say she's made really good progress. I wouldn't worry too much about the ballooning as you say it's during the day which indicates to me that it goes down at night?

She's probably drinking a lot of water. That's not uncommon. The droppings and her over all demeanor are telling the tale.

I just went and closed the girls in for the night. She is dry heaving like crazy now!! At least her mood seems right on. I am hoping her crop with be slightly harder and smaller in the morning again. By smaller I mean still noticeably huge
sad.png

Yogurt would also be a great idea. When my daughter used to get fungal infections the pediatrician would recommend giving her yogurt to eat because it has "good" bacteria that help keep down the amount of yeast in the system. I'm glad to hear she is doing better! Good luck!

Quote:
Tis true. Especially apparently if you can get (a non flavored) one that has a combination of Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria.

And honestly - you can buy probiotic capsules for women for yeast infections at the health food store that usually have the perfect blend of bacteria. Just empty a capsule on a quickly eaten treat. easier even to give than yogurt.

I have some acidophoulus (spelling?) capsules that I have been sprinkling in with her smoosh feed/nystatin mixture. I think this is similar to what is in yogurt. But I will give all the chickens a little yogurt later on today. Her crop was nice and hard this morning, it felt like she had just eaten a bunch of pellets. I was hoping to get up super early and check her before she got off her roost, but that didn't quite happen. I'm anxious to check her again when I get home tonight. Thank you all for your advice and support so far. I'll keep you posted.

karen+3chickens :

I have some acidophoulus (spelling?) capsules that I have been sprinkling in with her smoosh feed/nystatin mixture. I think this is similar to what is in yogurt. But I will give all the chickens a little yogurt later on today. Her crop was nice and hard this morning, it felt like she had just eaten a bunch of pellets. I was hoping to get up super early and check her before she got off her roost, but that didn't quite happen. I'm anxious to check her again when I get home tonight. Thank you all for your advice and support so far. I'll keep you posted.

You don't have to give the yogurt if they're getting the acidophilis.
smile.png
You're good to go. Unless you want to add calcium/D. Or spoil her.
big_smile.png
But I'd stick with the capsule contents.

Yes please kept me posted. Today sounds great, and hopefully she'll just keep getting better under your good care!

I just want to give you extra kudos for taking her to the vet for this. Thank you for being such an extra-good chicken steward.​

aS i HAVE READ THIS THRU AND AM STILL WONDERING HOW DOES THE CHICKEN GET OVER THE FUNGAL INFECTION?

AND DOES IT ALWAYS BOTHER THE CHICKEN?

thanks for any information as I do not understand how the crop gets rid of the fungal infection
thanks

Back
Top Bottom