Fungal Infections in Poultry...Often Mistaken for CRD/Mycoplasmosis

It sounds like it's been a baffling, frustrating situation.
barnie.gif
idunno.gif

Yes, it is unsafe for use around the flock with the activator. You do not need to use the activator-that would be for thoroughly disinfecting a nasty chicken house where a flock was not currently in residence.

Quote:

Lacy Blues, fungal infections will not pass down to the chicks. That is not passed from bird to bird. Sounds like you have something else going on, but we can't reliably diagnose it on the internet. Testing a couple of years ago has nothing to do with now. MG testing through the NPIP program must be done quarterly to be of any use. They can be exposed at any time.

Last edited:
SpeckledHen, Thank you SO much. This thread is a life saver. I found mold in a corner of my brooder and already put down two very sick chicks. I have cleaned an bleached the brooder and was still very worried about the rest of my brood, but now have tons of hope that the ones that are not showing severe symptems can be treated. It made me sick to cull the ones that I did already, and I was dreading having to cull everyone who was sneezing. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Helen--You really might want to also look up what might be an appropriate antibiotic to also give.

From some things people have written, Oxine sounds like it has been a big help in many situations. However, it may not help in some, or antibiotics may need to be given also in order for there to be enough effectiveness.

I have some birds with chronic respiratory problems. I have given them a good amount of mist (spray bottle & ultrasonic humidifier) Oxine treatments a number of times, and in my birds' case, Oxine has not seemed to help their gurgly breathing at all, though I'm guessing it has helped keep down germs in their coop. However, antibiotics I've tried have not cleared up this symptom either--though the antibiotics and nutrition treatments have really helped other symptoms and have reduced the respiratory mucus some at times.

When birds are in a critical state, I'd be cautious about "putting too many eggs in the 'Oxine basket'." From what I've read, Oxine by itself may take care of problems well in some cases. But in others it may take an antibiotic or some other treatments to do enough quickly enough. Though, of course, sometimes the birds' state or condition is such that no treatment can help enough.

Published studies & statistics & more definite diagnoses tied to Oxine treatments would be so helpful! I'd like to collect info on various people's results from treating with Oxine & add to the info on it on the "Fungal Infections" page on my website.
Oh, but to have the time to put that together....

Last edited:
To be more clear, I would depend on Oxine with fungal infections and as an aid in pneumonia recovery, neither of which are contagious, however, if you have a bird that you think has a contagious respiratory infection, my ONLY advice, the only advice I'd ever give, is to euthanize! That is the only advice I have ever given and will ever give on BYC for contagions.

I am not saying Oxine is a cure-all for everything, but it does kill bacteria, fungi, viruses on surfaces, etc. And it is safe for the birds' waterers to kill those things and for them to breathe into their lungs to kill fungi that set up housekeeping in there.

You must, must, MUST determine that your bird has a fungal infection or situational pneumonia and not something contagious by the circumstances surrounding the beginnings of it and the symptoms they have as well as the symptoms they do not have.

If the bird has something contagious like MG and you choose to treat rather than cull, you would give antibiotics, most likely, as long as it is bacterial rather than viral--no antibiotic will fix a virus. I wouldn't, of course treat a contagious bird with antibiotics (nor would I mist with Oxine, either, as you know by now)

Again, for those who have not read this entire thread, if a bird has a fungal infection, an antibiotic will probably make it worse, not better.

Last edited:
I have a EE hen who has had an on and off respiratory rattle over the course of a year now. It shows itself when the weather conditions are moist or if I have been wetting down the pens and yard due to the heat. Oxine sounds like the solution I'm looking for to finally get her back up to speed. I have btw tried Sulmet and Tetracycline without measurable results. It's been consistently over 100 degrees for the past couple of weeks and since I wasn't certain if she was contagious, I have her in the extra bathtub...I'd love to get her out of the house and back out with the flock.

---
This is from the first article link in your original post:
The name of the wonder drug is OXINE. It comes in an inactivated form. The instructions on how to activate it will usually come with the packaging. This product is available in some leading farm supply stores. Before use, you need to add about 6.5 ounces of the product into 4.5 liters of water to dilute it. To administer the preparation to the birds, you have to get them to breathe it in. This is best achieved by vaporizing the product or by misting. There are some good vaporization equipments in the market so go out there and get one for your self. If your stock holding is small, you can simply get the diluted product into a bottle and use a trigger sprayer to turn it into a mist.
---

I have read the entire thread and I'm a little confused. I get that I'll be using the Oxine and NOT the activator, I get that a cool vaporizor used for 10 minute intervals several times a day for a few days seems to do the trick, but I want to confirm — is adding about 6.5 ounces of Oxine into 4.5 liters of water the dilution rate are you using?
Please advise.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom