Funky Colored Egg

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have a new BR layer - this is her fourth in about seven days - who layed an egg with purple spots. Is it just pigmentation? all of her others were solid light brown. No roosters around and she Has crushed egg shells and oyster shells readily available.

Attachments

• 393FE858-2E42-4668-B1DA-8E5BC09BFCEF.jpeg
    393FE858-2E42-4668-B1DA-8E5BC09BFCEF.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 21
I have a new BR layer - this is her fourth in about seven days - who layed an egg with purple spots. Is it just pigmentation? all of her others were solid light brown. No roosters around and she Has crushed egg shells and oyster shells readily available.
Nothing to worry about. Just some extra speckles on the eggs.

Could be bloom or porosity.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Could be bloom or porosity.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.
They’re on an organic soy-free grower feed right now because I have five pullets who are about two months behind and they’re all together. The three layers are 5 months old. I was planning on switching them to layer feed in another month. They also get live mealworm treats and some chicken-approved veggies/fruits now and then. Do I need anything else for the layers, aside from the crushed eggshells and oyster (which they don’t seem to be a fan of). Also, what do people do when the egg production is less than the crushed eggshell need? They go through it faster than they lay and I don’t know that they’re eating enough oyster shell. Don’t really want to have them eat store-bought shells but it may be the only option? TYIA!

Back
Top Bottom