Funky comb & wattles on my roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrzyCknLady, Jan 30, 2013.

1. CrzyCknLady

CrzyCknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

Meet Nugget. I'm worried about his comb & wattles. This is my first winter with chickens and I'm not quite sure what is wrong with him or what to do about it. It was very cold last week so I'm thinking maybe he got some frostbite - even though I did run the heat lamp for the two days it was bitterly cold. Even the bottom of his wattles look funky......

This is a picture of him from a couple of months ago - his comb and wattles have definitely changed.
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions on what it is and what I can do to fix him? He's the most awesome rooster ever. He doesn't seem to be acting any different but he just looks funny and I'd like to take proper care of him.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    ther combs and waddles get beat up in the winter. I have read here to put vaseline or utter butter(hens might like this though)Don't let the others see you putting it on him that will make them want to check it out and that could lead to pecking

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Frostbite it looks like. Those spots will probably fall off...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by