Funky looking first egg. Concern?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HollysFlock, Sep 10, 2011.

1. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

So I understand that there is a bit of a learning curve for first-time layers, but this just looks absurd. When I picked it up it felt like Jello contained within a thin membrane. Is this a cause for concern and can we still eat it?

I am on my way out now to purchase a bit of Oyster Shell until we have enough of their own shells to feed back to them for calcium.

2. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Usually the first egg has some mistakes. Thats such a cool one, i havent even seen that. No advice though. I will bump you up anyway.

3. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Oh my! I hope someone here has seen this before to help ya out.

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I don't think I would eat it, but don't have a good reason. Just......it's weird. I imagine your little girl will get it figured out soon.

5. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I didn't eat the first jelly egg I got. Just too weird, plus I don't guess it would keep very long.

6. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Ha! Thanks for confirming that this is indeed unusual. [​IMG] The other two hens that are confirmed to be laying have perfect, lovely eggs. We shall see what happens I suppose. This is all so very exciting!

That's a great point about it not keeping. She laid it yesterday and I plan to cut (I doubt it will crack) it open tomorrow to see what's in there and, well, we'll see if it's omelet material or not. Thank you all!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If it's been in the fridge, I'd eat it.

8. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i think that needs to go intact into a jar full of alcohol, for posterity [​IMG] amaze your friends! coffee table conversation piece! etc.

(ps - hello, fellow hoosier!)

9. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:That's just funny! [​IMG] I would scramble and feed it back to the girls.

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    That's a neat one!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by