Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

My dad was at the feedstore to pick up a mineral block for my horse and my brother's horse, and he and the cashier were talking about the horses. She's like, "You don't feed them grain? What do they eat?" My dad "......Grass......", her: "But you'll run out!", him: "Then we'll move them."

Lol, the ironic part is that now I do feed grain. Old horses need their expensive-money-draining-feed.

My daughter who was 14 at the time wouldn't believe me when I told her hamburger was cow.

Its funny how we get odd little beliefs in our heads.  Farms have chickens and farms have roosters.  They must naturally go together, so you assume you need both to get eggs.  But if you think deeper on the subject logic tells you the rooster isn't necessary.  but there is no reason for most people to put that much thought into it.  And so they don't. 

Same thing about dirty eggs.  As a society we don't eat dead things, and we don't eat things that have been on the ground.  Its unsanitary and disgusting.  But if you are like us, and know where your food comes from, then you realize that we actually eat dead things and things that have been on or under the ground all the time.  Its just a matter of perspective.

Personally I would rather not buy eggs or chicken from the grocery store, but sadly local farmers in my area seem to think their chickens are made of solid silver and I simply cant afford their prices,  Their perspective is that they have free range, hormone free, drug free birds that health nuts and yuppies are willing to buy.  My perspective is that its ......a chicken.  And so, they priced me right out of their market. I know they say the small farms spend more raising the chickens than the Factory farms do, but If you think about it, that cant really be true.  Antibiotics are expensive and Antidepressants are even more expensive So constantly dumping Both antibiotics and anti depressants into the water supply for a massive factory farm every day for a year has got to cost a massive amount. 

Just my 2 cents.

Riki

That's about what its worth. You must be a city slicker!
Go to your grocery & buy you some hormone growth induced chicken. Real health food!

That's about what its worth. You must be a city slicker!
Go to your grocery & buy you some hormone growth induced chicken. Real health food!
How do you figure the chicken you buy at the store is "hormone growth induced"? Hormones are NOT fed to poultry. It isn't legal to use hormones on poultry, plus there would be no reason to do so.. How would you go about doing so anyway? Catch each one and give it an injection or implant? Their rapid growth is a result of genetics and careful feeding, not artificial hormones.

My current husband (I was widowed in my 40's) had never been around chickens when we got married. He was curious about why they needed roosts, so I explained. He said, "So, you're telling me they wrap their little feet around the bar, fall asleep, and don't fall off? What keeps them from falling off when they go to sleep?" Mother Nature, instinct......I don't know, it just works that way!

Hi, it really does cost a lot more to raise happy, healthy, hormone- and pesticide-free birds. First, factory farms make their profits on economies of scale. They have many thousands of birds in a very confined area -- cages so small the birds can't even stand up straight or turn around. They need to give antibiotics just to keep them stressed-out chickens alive in those horrible conditions. We just gave an antibiotic to a hen who had egg yolk peritonitis, in order to save her life. She is now in quarantine for 2 weeks while the antibiotic leaves her system because we don't want to sell contaminated eggs. So she will have been "out of production" for more than 3 weeks, not very cost-effective.

Second, feed is much more expensive for us. We don't buy tons of feed at wholesale prices and the fresh, nutritious organic feed we use costs $22 for 25 kilograms vs. less than $11 for non-organic. Our hens also get fresh organic lettuce, cabbage and other fruit & veggie treats. We also have them on pasture and we just spent several hundred dollars on new fencing and the labour to install it. We keep our birds much longer, past their peak production age but when they are still able to lay. Factory farms get rid of their chickens as soon as egg production drops, often within the first year.

So it does cost more to keep chickens under humane conditions, feeding them premium food and allowing them to live a longer life. But the first thing you'll notice about our eggs is that you have to work harder to crack the shells because they are stronger, and the yolks have a richer, darker colour. I am told by customers that they are also much better to bake with.

We just got our first meat birds and they will be treated the same way. I am sure that we will have to charge more for them than you pay for mass-produced grocery store birds but I guess as with everything else, you get what you pay for in terms of quality, taste and health benefits.

First of all, commercial broiler producers DO NOT FEED HORMONES. Secondly, last time I checked with Foster Farms, a large broiler chicken producer in the central valley of California, they didn't feed antibiotics either. I don't know about Tyson because I haven't talked to them. While a broiler house may not be an ideal environment for us, I question how bad it is for the chickens. Stressed out animals do not gain well, and the commercial chickens seem to gain very well indeed.. Broiler chickens, at least the ones I raise, are happy as long as they have feed, water, and a place to plop. Rather like my brother-in-law. Except he also wants a beer and a TV nearby where he can reach it.

i bet the best funny question city-folk ask is "not all eggs are fertile?"

get that all the time.
roll.png

maybe too much.
he.gif

Here's one...

Me: Want to come help me feed my cattle?

My Friend: Sure

(walks out to the barn)

MF: Which is the bull and which is the cow?

Me: The bull has the testicles and the cow has udders.

MF: Ok.....What are testicles?

Me: Uh... You have them, duh.

MF: So those are bulls? (points to the udders on the cow.)

Me: No.

Honestly, this kid is 14 and has been in the health class. Either he dosnt listen or is blind. Slickers are clueless.

Here's one...
Me: Want to come help me feed my cattle?
My Friend: Sure
(walks out to the barn)
MF: Which is the bull and which is the cow?
Me: The bull has the testicles and the cow has udders.
MF: Ok.....What are testicles?
Me: Uh... You have them, duh.
MF: So those are bulls? (points to the udders on the cow.)
Me: No.
Honestly, this kid is 14 and has been in the health class. Either he dosnt listen or is blind. Slickers are clueless.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom