funny chicken story

lorihadams

Songster
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
virginia
Okay, so here's the deal, I let my 6 hens and 2 roos free range during the day when it's nice and they can get into the woods behind my house (we have 3 acres) and get into all sorts of leaves and goodies and alleviate some of their boredom.

Well, I looked out the back window and see all of my chickens chasing my EE hen Bertha like crazy all around the back yard. I went out onto the porch to see what all the fuss was about and could see something fairly long hanging out of Bertha's mouth as she's running around like a madwoman.

I went down to the coop and threw some scratch into their run to distract them and tried to corner Bertha to see what she had. Much to my surprise....she had found a plastic worm of my husbands that evidently got tossed into the woods and was desperately trying to find a way to eat it!

Poor thing, I had to take it away from her...she was so disappointed...she looked heartbroken. It was funny to see her running around trying to keep it away from the others though. She just kept looking at me like..."Moooommmm, why did you take away my treat!?"

Has anyone else had to confiscate anything from your chickens?

Lori

Last edited:
I had a similkar experience with a my RIR last summer. She had a yucky old latex balloon. I never did get it away from her, so have no idea what ever became of it.

Your lucky you got it away. I'm sure that wouldn't digest very easily.
hmm.png

Heres another chicken story, When my granddaughter was little we had a RIR roo and he was mean .one day her and her mama came to see us and when they got out of the car the roo jumped on her head ,she was screaming ,her mama was screaming and my DH ran out and knocked the roo off my granddaughter ,he hit the roo so hard that he fell to the ground dead.So my DH pickes up the roo and puts him behind the wood pile to burry him later.That night I was cooking supper and I ask him not to forget to do something with that roo befor he began to smell ,so he goes out to take care of it now ,He comes back a few mins. later as white as a sheet, That roos ghost has come back to get me, He really thought this , and it was sooo funny .I went out to see what he was talking about and there stood the roo standing up stright ,a little shakie but alive.I said ho sweetie ,I guess that means that you didn't kill him you just knocked him out ,The old roo lived many years after that but he never jumped on anyone again.

Here is yet ANOTHER chicken story. I think that it's a LITTLE gross. My first batch of chickens were still pretty young and it was summer time. One of my RIR hens was running like crazy around my padock with EVERYONE else chasing her! When I got close enough to see what she had. Then, I saw a little pink tail. MY CHICKEN HAD A FIELD MOUSE!! I couldn't believe it. My mom was there too. She thought that it was gross. In the end, my RIR hen ended up eating the little field mouse. Crazy right?

Back
Top Bottom