Funny chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chuntgray, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Chuntgray

Chuntgray Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    I have plenty of nesting boxes, However they all want to lay in the same box. They argure back in forth all morning until everyone is done laying. So I put golf balls in the other unused nesting boxes thinking this will encourge them to lay in them. This morning I found all of the golf balls in one nesting box along with eggs.

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Welcome [​IMG]

I have the SAME problem form the time my girls started laying. I have two very nice nesting boxes with clean hay and they will all pile on top of each other and "fuss" until they are all completed with their laying. I also tried the golf ball thing and my girls did the same thing. They all ended up in the same box. Since then I have just left them alone. I kinda figure they will work out whatever problems they have without me.

Besides when I try to help by moving one of the girls off another one when they are all in the box together, I get the stink eye and cursed out in chicken! [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC!

That's so funny. I want to know how chickens move golf balls around... with a Nine Iron? [​IMG]

4. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Watch out Tiger Woods-you now have feathered competition.

5. jr88md

jr88md New Egg

May 23, 2008
    Canton Ga
    I have 2 hens trying to sit on the same eggs in 1 box i think there kinda goofy but they lay in there all day together on the eggs sometimes one of them will get up for a while but then she will come back and squeeze in the box with the other hen

6. mudman

mudman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    I had a rooster giving nest box etiquette lessons to three hens (who were looking on, a bit confused)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by