funny chicks and taming them

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by willowbranchfarm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    When I put my hand in with feed in it to tame my chicks they will jump on my hand to eat the food and then a nother one will want to get on and then jump on and push the other one off. LOL. I've been trying to tame them any ideas? I try to hold them a lot and hand feed them but when I go to pick them up they run away and when I finally get them they chip and cherp and try to fly out of my hand. Any ideas how to fix that? I guess I will just have to play with them a lot to tame them. I went on a small trip and before I went they would hop in my hand and know they wont. Thanks:)

2. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

You sound like your doing a great job raising them!
    Sometimes it helps to reach for them at their level like from the ground up , because by nature they are afraid of something descending down upon them [​IMG]
    Also When they are picked up , some will panic because their feet are dangling so it helps to keep their feet on your hand or shirt( [​IMG] sometimes the shirt is a bad idea)

Hope to see Pics soon!
    Keep up the great work.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :)Thanks so much. You're rite they don't like there feet dangling and I dont let them dangle very often. I try to pick them up on there level. I just think they need more time to get to know me better. They are only 1 week old. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by