funny colored meds

Stillachick

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Hi all I have very recently picked up some new birds from someone (should have known better=- but didn't want to start with newborns) ) anyway all 3 had had a very slight sneeze which developed into a little bit of a rattle so I gave garlic - then tried kale in yogurt and finally gave them oxytetaramycine (antibiotic). That seems to be doing the trick. All are looking much much better and only 60 hr since I put in their water. However I use VITAL daily in water-- always have with my birds-and is a basic poultry vitamin. I noticed though when it is added to the antiobotic (both are pwd) within abourt 24 hrs. The color changes to a rust color. do you think I have to be concerned =. Is that a possible sign it is already goinjg bad?? and 1 more question. is it true that once a pullet has had a respirtory issue and was treated and even though now got over it -- it is still a carrier to the rest of my adult flock when I introduce them into it? I sure hope not. I already love these little birds and such pretty colors. someone please advise? thanks

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) I'm not sure if that could be a concern. I would repost your question in the "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures" section.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I would definitely do as BantamFan4Life said. Good luck with your girls! :)

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) I'm not sure if that could be a concern. I would repost your question in the "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures" section.

Welcome to BYC!

x2 on @BantamFan4Life 's advice. Glad to hear your birds are doing better, it's always worrying when they aren't well.

Good luck to you and nice to have you here!

There may be something in the Vital that is affecting the antibiotic. It would be better if you skipped the Vital till the treatment is ended. I have no idea what is in vital but, you don't want things competing with each other. If you are adding to water - are you using a metal dish? Acidic elements would cause rust to form.

Thank you to all who cared enough to respond. I am emilinateing the Vital also thinking I don't want anything to compete with the oxy but thought the extra vitamins might help them when medicating. I put one pullet down today. I hated it but the rattiling was getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom