Funny Looking Egg

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
I got this egg out of my box today and I have no idea which chicken laid it. I have never seen an egg that looks like this. Will someone please tell me if you have had this happen? The egg is hard, just has a funny shell. When I picked it up it was luke warm. It was laid on hay and wood chips.

Attachments

• 20211102_205411.jpg
    20211102_205411.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 11
Looks like you need to offer free choice calcium. Offer some crushed oyster shells. Or crushed up egg shell. Both are a good source of calcium. The hens need it to form a nice hard shell on the egg. When they don't get what they need, they lay eggs like that, or even with no shell at all.

I got this egg out of my box today and I have no idea which chicken laid it. I have never seen an egg that looks like this. Will someone please tell me if you have had this happen? The egg is hard, just has a funny shell. When I picked it up it was luke warm. It was laid on hay and wood chips.
I believe that's called a Body Check egg.

I've had eggs like that before. Half of them were soft. Ever since I started feeding oyster shell I haven't had that happen.

I've had eggs like that before. Half of them were soft. Ever since I started feeding oyster shell I haven't had that happen.
They have not been without oyster shells or grit ever. I have only seen two of them eat the oyster shells, not to say they don't. It might have been one of the chickens I just got 3 days ago but that would mean she laid 2 in one day. Is that possible?

Looks like you need to offer free choice calcium. Offer some crushed oyster shells. Or crushed up egg shell. Both are a good source of calcium. The hens need it to form a nice hard shell on the egg. When they don't get what they need, they lay eggs like that, or even with no shell at all.
They always have grit and oyster shells. After I thought about it, I just got 2 new chickens 3 days ago. They both had already laid today. I was wondering if the can lay more than one a day

Back
Top Bottom