Funny places to lay eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by binza1979, Nov 10, 2011.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    My two hens are so funny! The insist on laying on rocks, concrete, or brick. They make a nice nest with straw or shavings , but the bottom of the nest is alway bare and hard. I have seen them put rocks into their nesting box.

Every day has also become an easter egg hunt. It seems that after a couple of days in one nest, they move again.

Anybody else have funny duck who insist on laying on a hard surface?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:My ducks would lay on gravel to [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, but sometimes they like laying in the pools... [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:When mine first start to lay they have laid in their pool, but they pretty much use the same nest boxes the chickens use. Or go into a corner in their house or the chicken house and use it. Now my young hens will probably follow suit and lay where ever till they figure it out. [​IMG]

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a little BEI girl that went broody last Spring and along with the leaves and straw she used to build her nest - she added little rocks. It was so weird to me, but she seemed perfectly satisfied with it.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Mine were great. They laid their eggs in the nest box every day. One of my silkies decided to go broody and take over their nest box a few days ago. Instead of kicking her out to lay their eggs like the chickens do, they have been laying them right inside the door to the coop since then. So now I have to watch my step when I stumble on there half asleep to feed everyone in the morning. [​IMG]

7. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    One of mine likes to lay "top shelf" eggs!! She lays on the 4" ledge in the corner. Would like to put a camera in there to see how she does it.

[​IMG]

8. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Mine insist on laying on gravel. I have made so many nice nest for them but they will dig down to the gravel, lay their egg and then cover them back up with the straw. I have to dig down 5-6 inches of straw to find the eggs.

9. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I had a hen lay an egg in the water dish the other day:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by