1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funny Turkey noob mistake...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mischki, Nov 19, 2011.

1. mischki

mischki Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    I've had chickens for a few years now, but I just brought home a pair of Narragansetts today. These are my first turkeys. When I picked them up, the girl and I were double checking that I had a tom and a hen, and not two hens (these guys are only about 17 weeks old), and I mentioned how red the bigger one's wattle was.

When I got home after a 2 hour car trip, and turned them loose in their new pen, I noticed the tom's wattle was very pale. I was sooo worried! I remembered this summer when one of my chickens had a pale wattle when it was so hot outside, and I even brought her into the air conditioning for a little, and made sure she drank a bunch of water, and didn't put her back out until I thought she looked better. So, I thought, how could this tom have gotten so hot and dehydrated in a two hour car ride in November?

Then tonight, I was doing some internet "research" on the breed and that's when I read that their wattles only get red when they're excited - either upset or in courting.... DOH!

Just thought I'd share my stupidity! [​IMG] Oh, and here's Abraham and Sarah: [​IMG]

BTW: a quick question - when will my hen start laying? At a certain age or at a certain time of the year?

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The hen will probably start laying next spring. I'm not sure when they start in Arkansas. In Minnesota they start to lay sometime in March. I would guess your's will start in February.

3. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Where did you find these at?

4. mischki

mischki Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    I got them from Bright Moon Ranch in Russellville, Arkansas.

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I Love the names you gave them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by