Fuss about fertilised eggs with 2 broodies.

These two black pirate mothers “Black” and “Pearl” are so funny. Every time I check on them they sing a “duet”
c-bard.jpg
troubadix.gif

Can you imagine two Kakafonix’s?

I posted this Yesterday in another thread (peeps in Europe).
:confused:
I suspect the outcome will be very disappointing. Yesterday evening when I checked the 2 pirates, they where in one nest. The eggs in the other nest where not cold, but not warm as they should be either.

Candling with a selfmade ‘toilet paper’ roll didn’t work either. The shells of these bantam RIR eggs are very different from my own eggs. I just can’t see through properly.

I wonder if it’s worth wile to go on? For now I just let them sitting. I do hope it might be worth it to wait another 10-12 days to see if there are a few chicks who make it.

The peeps in Europe told me to wait, maybe give the broodies a little more time as it has a less reliable outcome day now. But I certainly mustn’t discard the eggs.

I did make 2 disappointing short films with a duet of the broodies. It’s the moment I open the door that they sound like 2 Kakafonixes. The moment the film starts the noises go back to normal.

I suspect the outcome will be very disappointing. Yesterday evening when I checked the 2 pirates, they where in one nest. The eggs in the other nest where not cold, but not warm as they should be either.

That occasionally happens with broody hens, they can go back to the wrong nest, usually after they have been off eating, drinking, and pooping. I had a hen do that, when I found her on the wrong nest the eggs were really cold to the touch. I put her back on the correct nest and she hatched 11 chicks out of 11 eggs. And they were not late hatching. I don't know how your hatch will go from other things but I agree with your European friends, keep going.

Tomorrow should be H-day , but it was rather cold in April, the broodies were not very reliable and I found both hens in one nest a couple of times. Never really cold eggs though.

Today both my broody pirates took a walk in the run. I took the opportunity to pick up 4 eggs to listen. 2 eggs where peeping. One quite loud. 😘So something is alive and kicking!

The plan is to leave the 2 hens with the chicks to be in the small coop for the first week. And move them to a bigger area if the chicks are about a week - 10 days old.
Is it okay to move two broodies with week old chicks to another coop/run?

edit:spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom