Fuss about fertilised eggs with 2 broodies.

image.jpg
This is how they should look like after 20 weeks. The chicken on the photo is a RIR bantam on a Frysland show in the Netherlands (linked photo).

I have another question. The coop were the 2 mothers with their 3 chicks are in (really small bantams) has just 75 x 190 cm (2.5 x 6’) run space and a coop space of 75 x 90 cm.
At the moment this is big enough, but when should I move them to a larger area?

I need to keep my flock separated until the chicks are about 14 weeks old, because I let the 5 other hens free range a few hours every day and we have too many neighbour cats and mean birds to let the chicks free range.

I do have another larger area I can close off. This run is approximately 4x the size they have now. It has 6 m2 space (1” hwc and cat net on top). Inside this space they have a very small coop which is used as a huge laying nest.
When they move there I should build some kind of summer-coop in it for them to roost under a solid cover because the tiny coop has no roosts. I like to let them practice to roost asap.
I like to postpone the move to this area is because its less safe and less convenient. It has two berry bushes in it which makes it difficult to maintain/clean.

Do I still have a few followers for comment/ideas?

At the moment this is big enough, but when should I move them to a larger area?

I need to keep my flock separated until the chicks are about 14 weeks old,
I don't know. Whenever they start to get crowded. I'd probably move them when I got the shelter built, but I don't know how inconvenient it will be to clean to your standards. I get the feeling my cleaning standards may be more relaxed than yours.

I've never had two hens taking care of chicks together. I let mine raise them with the flock. I don't have bantams. So I don't have direct experience with what you are doing. But you will see certain things. At some point those hens will wean those chicks, maybe not both at the same time. I've had broody hens wean their chicks as young as three weeks, I've had some go over two months. I think it is really safe to say both hens should have weaned them by 14 weeks. When a hen weans her chicks you will want to get her out of that enclosure and reintroduce her to the flock.

I don't know how predator proof that small coop/run is. If you consider the whole thing predator proof it may not be as small as you imagine. You are not in a typical "coop" situation. You just need a shelter. I like more room, less cleaning and less chances of behavioral problems. You can make that area bigger by removing one of the broody hens and let her rejoin the main flock. (I know, not only are my cleaning standards more relaxed I can be pretty ruthless when dealing with my flock.) I don't necessarily trust your Northern Europe and English Channel/North Sea weather but you can safely remove the last hen at five weeks and just leave those chicks on their own until you integrate them with the flock at 14 weeks. You are going to be integrating them yourself anyway at that age without a broody hen's help.

I don't know what the right answer is for you. I suspect you will not want to remove either broody hen until you have to. That's a big reason I suggest you move them to that larger area sooner than later. Once a hen weans her chicks she typically doesn't want them around. Having one broody protecting her chicks and another hen that doesn't want them around might get volatile. I'd want them to have as much room as I could give them.

Thanks Ridgerunner. I keep you’re suggestions in mind.

I will move the broodies and chicks as soon as it gets too crowded, probably within a few weeks.

Constructing a coop/shelter with roosts is not urgent. They already have a good large nestbox in there which is big enough for 5 chickens to sleep in. But it has no hight and has no space for a roost.

If a broody looses interest in the chicks I will put her in the coop with the other chickens. But so-far they both love to care for the chicks.
My Dutch normally care for the chicks until they are about 8 weeks old.

Last edited:
An update from last week:
The 2 mamma’s en 3 chicks are doing great. But the space was getting limited.
Before moving them to the second run with the large nestbox in it I wanted to try if it was possible to integrate the flock by opening the divider between the old coop and the extension. I figured out how to let the flock free range by closing the coop and main run. And keeping the second run open if the flock chickens want to eat, drink or lay an egg.

The first attempt was good. The two broodies are very protective and the chicks are safe. The broodies get real bullies if another hen comes too close.
There was one problem. When the momma’s went through to pop door to the run the chicks tried to follow. But these bantam RIR chicks could not jump very wel and just one chick could follow.
When the momma’s went back to the chicks that stayed behind. The first one couldn’t figure out how to get back. It tried to find a way through the HWC.
They chicks obviously where too young to open up their coop.
So for a few days I made a little fence around the coop door and let them range in this small run with supervision about an hour each day. Chick TV. 😍

351FEF92-F8E9-45F2-84B4-BEFFABC304C7.jpeg

searching for food in the dirt under supervision

A few days ago, I tried opening up again. The chicks had grown bigger and stronger. And yes, they all went after the 2 mamma’s into the run. They where so happy with all the space and dirt to dig in.
I checked regularly if there was no problem. They all could find their way back inside when it was time for a nap 💤.
So, I left it open. Checking quit often if everything is going okay. Only once I rescued a tired chick who couldn’t find its way back to the others at the end of the day.
AFCC8D0A-A7A5-4CC4-AE6B-C9D87AB580AD.jpeg

First day I put up a fence in the run to be sure the chicks could get in and out the coop through the pop door.

I also figured out how to let the flock free range and keep the chicks safe for the cat who knows her way into the coop. I can close the opening between the first and second coop. But if I do so the flock has no access to their roosts and the laying spot they prefer. So I let them free range just for a short time or at the end of the day.
EA844726-28D0-4717-A905-4C13039B8BB4.jpeg

The neighbour cat that likes to come into the run.
04F4F58A-1EDD-43DF-9586-F7B88C482022.jpeg

The chicks and mamma’s taking a nap in the run.
0A2EF819-3ADB-422B-95E4-1857ED227149.jpeg

The flock chickens, free ranging

There was one problem. When the momma’s went through to pop door to the run the chicks tried to follow. But these bantam RIR chicks could not jump very wel and just one chick could follow.
I build steps out of paving stones or bricks at places like that. Usually they can all handle that a couple of days after they leave the nest.

As always, there was an exception. One time a specific chick would not follow Mom and its siblings outside. The broody kept them all in the coop for a couple of days longer than normal, then finally just left that one chick behind. It spent all day in the coop by itself, giving a plaintive peep. The hens walked right by it when they went into the coop to lay an egg, did not bother it at all. The next day that chick followed Mama outside.

Hinged door.JPG

For very young chicks there is an extra layer of steps.

Thanks. But I do have steps. That is not the problem. The problem is the combination of hardware cloth and that the coop where the chicks see through are not in line withe the extension with the pop door.

But I think they have figured it out now. No chicks stay behind anymore. 🐥 🐥 🐥.

The combs are getting visible. I think I have one cockerel, one pullet and one gender neutral. 🤣

Update:
The chicks and chickens are doing great in my setup/regime.

In the morning (most days) I divide the two runs and the flock can go out to free range for a few hours. In the back run (6m2) they have food, water and shelter and a nestbox to lay an egg.
The 2 mamma’s with the 3 chicks stay in the coop and the attached run of 9 m2.

In the evening I repeat this (most days).

Sometimes Black (the helping mother) goes out with the flock. And she roosted with the others once too.

I still don’t know what the gender is of 2 chicks. One is certainly a cockerel.

D701F7E6-CB82-4126-9321-0AF9980A17BC.jpeg

2AAED6B0-0EB0-42DA-A8BA-EE6A9B4BA58B.jpeg

Tonight the chicks where out of the coop and run, free ranging with the mama’s and human supervision for the first time. They loved it and the mama’s did just what they had to do. Showing how to find the goodies and protecting the chicks.

When I was inside to finish diner , our neighbor dog paid a visit. Panic! But luckily there was enough protection with the mamma’s and my family nearby.

Back
Top Bottom