Future ducklings will need homes in WA

Ya, one that looks to have Balck Swedish coloring, (I've never gotten that mix out of this flock before, so it'll be very interesting!) Once bright yellow guy has a crest, but the floof is only on one side of his head lol! You can see Reed, the one I'm keeping, posting in the second pic, he's gorgeous, and has the biggest crest. One more and I think its a Silver duckling, both of the silvers will probably look somewhat like their dads. 😍

I'm sorry, I wish you could take them! I know they would have AMAZING homes with you, as not a lot of people around here are willing to take ducks to the vet. Most of the poetry owners around here are more, "homesteaders". 5 Are going to a good friend go mine who considers them pets, but still probably wouldn't' take them to the vet.
I so wish there was a way you could take them!
💖💖💖 After my last duck passes away I'll take a duck break for a while. I'm actually not sure if I'll get ducks again. I adore them, but they've been heartbreaking, too. I can't always fix them even though we go to the vet. I'm pretty sensitive, and losing them is painful for me.

I really want those crested babies, though. No ducklings for me. No ducklings for me. No ducklings for me.

I mean, I feel kinda cruel saying this, but I would kinda rather the remaining ones go to someone would could treat them with antibiotics, love them, and care for them even with the disease, then some homesteader that will raise them unknowing of common diseases like bumble foot, and then just cull them once they're older.
Like I said, a lot of people around here are homesteaders, and if they don't find homes then they'll either get culled, or go to someone who will cull the drakes, and doesn't know a thing about common diseases. Then, once they stop laying they'll get culled anyway. Basically, if I can't find them good loving homes, they get culled.😔
I honestly don't know much about infectious bronchitis, I know its a respiratory disease, but nothing more then that. Most ducks treated with antibiotics still have a pretty good life though right?
Of course, that would be a last resort, again, I feel cruel saying this but do you think they would be better off culled, or with you?
Just a thought if I can't find anymore good homes. :confused:
Well, unfortunately it can kill young ducklings. Then in older ducks it lives dormant in their eggshell gland. My ducks don't have an active infection with respiratory symptoms, but could spread it.

Just last week my ducks came back possibly positive for avian Chlamydia, or pssitacosis. Omg, it's nuts. We are starting treatment for that now. *bangs head on a brick wall*

I feel like all ducks are better off with me than being culled or used for farm life. I'm a fabulous duck owner. Lol. But I need a break. I've sacrificed a huge part of myself for my own ducks for 6 years now. I want to save all the ducks... But I can't.

I feel like all ducks are better off with me than being culled or used for farm life. I'm a fabulous duck owner. Lol. But I need a break. I've sacrificed a huge part of myself for my own ducks for 6 years now. I want to save all the ducks... But I can't.
I get this. That makes a lot of sense. You are a great duck owner haha! I just wish there were more duck owners like you, and that they were able to take them. Hopefully they'll find good homes, or I can find a way to make my area bigger to keep the others.
I have extra fencing to make ti bigger, but I don't think I'll have room for 4 more standard sized ducks.
I'll keep looking, maybe the friend of mine will take 8 instead of 5 lol! I'll keep you, and everyone else posted on how they do, and update with pics as hey grow! I'm very invested in how they turn out. Mixes are my favorite! 🥰

Well, unfortunately it can kill young ducklings. Then in older ducks it lives dormant in their eggshell gland. My ducks don't have an active infection with respiratory symptoms, but could spread it.

Just last week my ducks came back possibly positive for avian Chlamydia, or pssitacosis. Omg, it's nuts. We are starting treatment for that now. *bangs head on a brick wall*
I bet it could, I can imagine that an infection like that would definitely take a toll. I won't be giving them away as babies though. I'm going to wait until they are mostly feathered and somewhat independent before rehoming.
I feel that momma deserves to be able to raise them. She did sit on then for a month after all. 😉

Wow! I'm so sorry, thats a lot! It must be devastating! Every time one of my chickens sneezes, or shakes there head I freak out and immediately tell myself its respiratory issues lol! Then I realize I should probably clean the coop because its getting gross, and thats probably the real issue. 😉
You dedicate so much to your ducks, if only all duck owners were like you. I drive to be, my setup is pretty poor right now lol, but once I become a vet and have my own poultry, I have HUGE plans lol!
I'll keep you guys posted!

Bumping this thread. Did I mention it turns out we have 10! Lol! I thought she only had 9 eggs, guess I missed one. 💕
5 of the sweet babies are spoken for. They're going to a fantastic home with lots of run space for them to roam. I got to see it and help with the build, I feel really great about are they're going. 🥰
The other 4, (since were keeping one) still need homes. 3 of the crested are spoken for, and possibly the 4th crested. She/he turned out to have a very, very tiny crest lol! I bet it'll only be a few feathers haha!
In total, I have 2 with black Swedish coloring that I'm guessing will have brown highlights. I can't see brown feathers coming in, and one of these guys has a crest. He has hardly any viable brown feathers yet. 2 that are grey in color, I bet they look much like their fathers, but you never know. Did I post photos of the drakes? I will again if I already did. 3 Silvers, I bet these guys will be mostly grey, but not exactly sure. and 2 yellows that are still keeping pretty yellow. I bet they will be a very, very light grey or keep white with highlighting. 2 of the yellows have crests, and one with a tiny tiny one.
Then I have Reed, the Mallard, White Crested, Swedish blue, Buff cross. Thats a lot of crosses lol! He's turning really dark grey with no signs of brown feathers yet. He still has those vibrant Mallard stripes on his face, and an adorable grey crest. I still plan on keeping him and am very excited to see what he looks like as an adult. He/she I should say. If anyone has any interest in ducklings and your near, please contact me here or in a PM. Thanks!

Ps. I believe the 4 that still need homes are, 2 Silvers, both Greys, and the crestless black. Cristy, who is taking 5, has picked out the smallest Silver, and the black and larger yellow crested. She still needs to pick out one more to fulfill her choice of 5.

Heres some okay photos from today-
IMG_8796.jpeg

IMG_8797.jpeg

I forgot to mention, they'll be a month old this Saturday. They grow up so fast. 🥰

You can see that both Grey's have a very interesting white stipe that goes around their eye, and a bit down their heads. I've never seen this in ducklings before, do you think it'll stay into adult hood? So cute!
You can see it best in the first photo.

Back
Top Bottom