FYI: Virulent Newcastle disease diagnosed in California

Hen Pen Jem

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 19, 2017
Southern California
Greetings BYC members,

This morning I was up at the local UC Davis Lab, dropping off a hen that died yesterday. I was notified by them, that there is an outbreak of Virulent Newcastle disease (previously referred to as exotic Newcastle disease), in California. The last outbreak was in 2003.

Apparently the outbreak occurred in a small flock of exhibition chickens. But, all poultry owners are urged to follow good biosecurity practices, to protect their flocks from infectious diseases. This is a highly contagious disease and is just in the initial days of discovery. The first report was on May 17th, in Los Angeles County. More poultry owners are reporting disease in their flocks each day.

This is a zoonotic disease, so it is possible to get infected from handling infected birds.

Here is the link to the California Animal Health and Food Safety website with all the information about the outbreak, and how to protect yourself and your flock.

cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/Newcastle_Disease_Info.html

By the way the hen that died was being dropped off for necropsy. She was ill with a verified bacterial infection, on and off, for the last two months. Most likely due to immune suppression from the Infectious Bronchitis, that my flock was hit with in March. She will be the first fatality of the IB virus, if that is what the vets, at the UC Davis lab, find.

Rest in Peace my good girl "Taji".

God Bless you all, and your flocks. :)

Thank you for posting this. I'd started a thread about it a couple weeks ago but this is something that, IMHO, deserves a pinned post. There have been multiple cases confirmed in Southern California, mostly in San Bernardino County, in what APHIS is referring to as "exhibition chickens". I'm guessing they all attended the same poultry show and came home infected. I've instituted strict biosecurity for my hens - they can't figure out why they're not being allowed out of the coop anymore, poor girls! Here's where to get the latest updates on cases: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...sease-information/avian-influenza-disease/vnd

Back
Top Bottom