Gagging Chicken???? Please Help!!!

salt and pepper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Georgia Mountains
Hi, I have a ten month old black sex link, who, starting today, has started coughing, sneezing, and gagging. At fist there was some mucus in the mouth, but that's gone now. I don't know what it is! no runny eyes, nose, or mouth, but here breathing sounds wet, checked her mouth, and everything was normal. No other birds are acting abnormal, actually, the sneezing has gone down lately, they are all healthy. Any ideas??

Hmm... It sounds like a human cold but to a chicken that is dangerous...So I think she/he inhaled something or is having troubles breathing so she /he could not like the food or treats your feeding or is alergic to something

It could be the start of a mild respiratory disease. If the symptoms persist, or other birds exhibit the same symptoms, a respiratory disease becomes more likely. It could be viral, in which case all you can do is keep the bird/birds warm, well fed, stress-free, and hydrated. Or, it could be bacterial, in which case you will need an antibiotic. Tylan50 or Tylan200 are the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases. Either version of Tylan is best given into the breast muscle using a 20 or 22 gauge needle. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for a large fowl chicken, and .5ccs for a bantam, for 5 days. Give Tylan200 at the rate of .5ccs for large fowl, and .1-.3ccs for bantams, for 3-4 days.

So far, the disease (if it is a disease) does not sound too serious. What I have just suggested above are ideas in case it gets worse. I hope your chickens get better soon!

Feeding habits haven't changed at all, same feed/ treats, ect. I will keep a lookout for anymore symptoms in the other chickens, here's the thing though, I have around twenty plus chickens, and two actually like me, the others think I'm the boogy man. Is there anything I can put in their water? That would be preferable to chasing them for a couple of hours ( they free range ) Thanks for the help!

Feeding habits haven't changed at all, same feed/ treats, ect. I will keep a lookout for anymore symptoms in the other chickens, here's the thing though, I have around twenty plus chickens, and two actually like me, the others think I'm the boogy man. Is there anything I can put in their water? That would be preferable to chasing them for a couple of hours ( they free range ) Thanks for the help!

You're welcome!

Well, I believe that there is a type of Tylan that you can put in the water, but I don't know much about it. You could try a slightly weaker antibiotic, like Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Duramycin, Terramycin, LA200, and Tetroxy HCA-280). This antibiotic can be put in the water.

Yes, there is a water soluable form of Tylan. Most use the injectable because it works faster. I don't know the dosage though...maybe someone that has used Tylan could help with that part? Tylan is the main antibiotic used for CRD ( cronic repiratory disease and works the best for this disease) if you do treat with the water soluble, don't offer any other plain water so they have to drink the treated. I would suggest, if you have a run, to keep them in, while treating, so they can't get a drink some place else. Best of luck

Just keep in mind, if this IS CRD, even if they get better, they will remain carriers for life and can spread CRD to other birds they come in contact with! Sorry I could help more. I haven't done much research on this disease.

I have lots of info on cocci, as my birds have cocci now. LOL but that won't help you with your situation!

I had the same EXACT problem with my salmon Favorelle, and she spread it to the rest of my hens-a respiratory virus of some sort- and one was dead within a day. So I did some research and tried Tylan in soluble for about a month, no progress.
But then I went to Tractor Supply and was recommended Duramycin 10. (I believe that's how you spell it) just 2 TBSP per gallon in their water for about a month and half and all should be better! And for only $4.89 a bag it's not that bad! And for my flock of 14 I only needed 2 bags of the stuff!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom