Gagging duck?

mixedcoat

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
My full grown Duck, Penguin, all of a sudden is doing this thing were he opens his beak and shakes his head around sometimes there is like a grinding noise. I think from his beak? He isn't doing it constantly but every like 5-ten min I might see him do it. Other then that he is totally fine walking around and grooming himself he's breathing fine and quacking and all that he just stops here and there to do it and it looks like its anoying him he does walk over to the water dish and Drinks out of it but he continues to do it. Could he have something stuck in it? I don't want it choking him I'm really worried. He's perfectly healthy otherwise and he's a indoor duck he lives in my room with me so I don't think it could be like bugs or something. any advice? I did post this to the medical thread as well

My full grown Duck, Penguin, all of a sudden is doing this thing were he opens his beak and shakes his head around sometimes there is like a grinding noise. I think from his beak? He isn't doing it constantly but every like 5-ten min I might see him do it. Other then that he is totally fine walking around and grooming himself he's breathing fine and quacking and all that he just stops here and there to do it and it looks like its anoying him he does walk over to the water dish and Drinks out of it but he continues to do it. Could he have something stuck in it? I don't want it choking him I'm really worried. He's perfectly healthy otherwise and he's a indoor duck he lives in my room with me so I don't think it could be like bugs or something. any advice? I did post this to the medical thread as well
Welcome to BYC I don't know if your aware but ducks need something deep with water in it to keep their nares and eyes clean and healthy, dust from feed can cause ducks to get clogged up so it is very important they have water when eating. He could have something stuck in his throat. Having him inside means making sure nothing ever gets accidentally dropped on the floor and not picked up right away, ducks are notorious for picking things up and swallowing it. You could also put a little Apple Cider vinegar into his water it can help clear up certain things. 1-2 tab to 1 gal of water. Have you looked in his mouth under his tongue? I remember someone who had a goose that got a piece of a stick caught under it's tongue, you never know.

Back
Top Bottom