Gagging hen….

Mercyr79

Chirping
Sep 16, 2022
Mariposa, CA
Hi. We recently bought two older hens from a neighbor to keep our lone hen company after her sisters were killed by a bobcat. We treated them for mites and I believe she’s 3-4 years old. She started vomiting liquid and has been gagging. Her crop is large and doughy and she is pooping. I’m unfortunately away dealing with my sick mom and I’m trying to walk my husband through it in order to try to help her. He gave her coconut oil and massaged the crop yesterday. Is there anything else he can do? I feel helpless not being able to help her….. Thank you.

Sorry for your loss. I lost 3 of my original remaining flock a couple of years ago to a bobcat in the middle of the day while free ranging.

Do you have granite poultry grit available to the hens to take in a separate container than feed? Do they have water available at all times? In this time when you are away, it might be easier to give the hens back, than to treat a doughy crop. Crop impactions can lead to sour crop, and then it can be hard to treat.

With a large doughy crop that is not emptying by morning, I would give 2 tsp of chilled coconut oil daily (dividing them into a dose in the am and the pm.) Chill the oil and cut into small pieces then offer then to the hen to peck. Most chickens like it, and will take it. Then several times a day, feel of the crop and try to massage the doughy mass downward to break it up. Don’t give any whole grains or seeds during this time. Mushy wet chicken feed or egg is good.

If the crop turns soft, full, and puffy, and the breath smells sour or bad, then sour crop care should be started. That includes giving an antifungal cream, Monistat 1/2 inch orally twice a day.If the crop is puffy and liquids, don’t massage those. But do massage a doughy or impacted firm crop.

Back
Top Bottom