Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics
Well shoulda known better... picked up one of my sweetest goslings last night, but I failed to secure her wings and she took me out with an elbow to the eye.
Maybe you're lucky it was only a gosling?

When my full-grown American Buff Golly decided to hit me in the face with a wing, I ended up with a black eye and a story No One believed.
My adult goose got me with her wings and my glasses were bent from it. You should have seen the face of the tech when I told him how it happened. Boy they pack a wallop with those wings.
I have never been smacked in the face with a wing. I know they have a lot of strength in them, but I didn't realize getting sucker punched by a goose was such a common thing!

Usually it's unintentional when I get wing-slapped in the face. I'll pick up my Roman Tufted (Lemongrab) sometimes, but when he wants to get down, he'll flap his wings out and might accidentally hit me, lol. The only malicious time(s) have been when he's mad at a broom or shovel or something that I'm holding, so he's hitting it, but I might be in the way. And also when he goes after my rooster, and I have to break up the fights.

But now that he's a dad, he's suuuper mean to my boyfriend! Just earlier this morning, I was holding the gosling, and BF was walking up. Lemongrab got mad and ran at him, wings spread out and chasing BF away. I went over to calm him down and had my hands on his sides to soothe him. But he still hissed when BF got closer, lol.

20220823_145104.jpg

Maybe you're just lucky, careful or have better behaved geese?
They would definitely disagree with that. lol
Once it happens, it certainly makes a person more cautious about how they handle those strong, lovely creatures!
Mine certainly aren't big flappers. I usually catch them and then hug them to keep the wings against the body. lol

lol He's a good dad. He just really, really hates buckets. And as I am the bringer of the bucket, he likes to try and get me. This year he only drew blood because he got my wrist and there's nothing there but skin and bone. Usually, I can see him coming in time to divert him, but I'd just gotten done talking with him over the whole thing and wasn't expecting him to get me and not the bucket.

Y'all's cobra chickens are scaring me now🙂
Fortunately, Roman Tufteds are pretty light! I think--while a little bigger than the girl goose (Tooey)--he still weighs less than she does. He's mostly air, though his wings are still pretty strong, lol. I got the full brunt of it once when I was pinning down the rooster (after he was attacking me), and Lemongrab thought now was his chance. So he attacks the rooster and wing slaps, but I'm still holding onto him, so Lemongrab was just slapping my hand. Definitely bruised there, lol.

And generally, he's sweet to me! His lady will egg him on though, so he gets worked up sometimes. She doesn't even like when I touch him, so she starts yelling, haha. But I was actually surprised by how much they're okay with me around the gosling, especially with how much they dislike when anyone else is around, especially BF, lol.

Back
Top Bottom