Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics
Wouldn't cranes have longer beaks?
Your probably right you may find this interesting it is the migration survey for your state for December. file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/waterfowl_221222.pdf

also ducks unlimited has good descriptions of wild geese
https://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/Geese

another thing to consider is
All four species of swans found in North America have been spotted in Iowa. They are the Trumpeter Swan, Tundra Swan, Mute Swan, and Whooper Swan
only one has a orange beak though

Last edited:
20221215_170916.jpg

Your probably right you may find this interesting it is the migration survey for your state for December. file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/waterfowl_221222.pdf

also ducks unlimited has good descriptions of wild geese
https://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/Geese

another thing to consider is
All four species of swans found in North America have been spotted in Iowa. They are the Trumpeter Swan, Tundra Swan, Mute Swan, and Whooper Swan
only one has a orange beak though
Wow I need to get out more!

I need more current pictures where they’re all in the frame.
Cocoa, Charlie, and Lulu. They’re American Buffs from a breeder but not really show quality, but hoping to get better ones from them. Even if not, they’re my favorite pets, because they’re not fussy like my chickens, going out every day and staying out, no matter the weather, and serving as “greeters” to our farm.
In this picture, my dad didn’t want to blow the snow and instead “flattened” it by repeatedly driving through the u-shaped driveway with my brother, then going on the road and repeat.
The geese got excited whenever a “new” car pulled in.
AE69F3ED-06EE-445D-BE9A-BF408CBB2A01.jpeg
92259F40-B81C-4E06-8338-FC31B6AB843B.jpeg

Funny goose story? I was at this Bible Times reenactment and they have animals. Someone brought a goose that was imprinted to their goats.
He was very friendly and didn’t mind being touched. (Mine don’t like being touched, though friendly.) I touched his face and dewlap so he would nibble on my hand but he bit farther and harder than I expected, and he made me bleed! 😅 whoops
If a stranger touched my face, I would bite her too.

Last edited:
Cocoa has a bad leg too. I wonder why geese get bad legs. I think it must because domestic geese too big for their little feet.
I want to get Canadas but that is a far future goal. They’re so slender and graceful! And friendly.
My girl Vespa, we think hers was an injury that didnt heal right, since when we first got her the breeder caught her in a net and she got dangled by her leg for a second before we could get her out, and she limped a lil after that, combined with a nutritional deficiency. She was one of our first 2 geese so I think she didn't get enough niacin out of the mixed flock starter we were using. : (

My girl Vespa, we think hers was an injury that didnt heal right, since when we first got her the breeder caught her in a net and she got dangled by her leg for a second before we could get her out, and she limped a lil after that, combined with a nutritional deficiency. She was one of our first 2 geese so I think she didn't get enough niacin out of the mixed flock starter we were using. : (
Oh, I don’t know then. As far as I know Cocoa didn’t have any injuries. We used all flock but she was already pretty much fully grown, I never thought about the feed, since they mostly eat grass.
She keeps up because there are only three geese anyway. She is the prettiest of our geese.

Anyone else have winter horomones kicking in?

Mine started in my gaggle a few weeks back but is amping up now.

Darby and Strawberry are getting spicier, I can’t walk into their cage now without a chorus of hissing and Strawby trying to grab me.

Leo is like this all year round so no noticeable change...

Parsnip doesn’t really get that hormonal anymore because of his chronic health issues so he’s the voice of reason currently.

Roxby is sweet as always towards me but he’s been a firecracker if he catches sight of the other boys.

Helios... Helios is my largest and yet most gentle tempered gander, but the horomones have hit him HARD. Yesterday he just couldn’t control himself when I walked into his cage with a bag of shavings. Boiling aggression replaced his usual kind gentle demeanor, he lunged towards me quivering in barely controlled rage and poked me on the leg.
Shock at what he had done replaced his anger and he took a step back, visibly horrified by his own behavior and wondering what I would do in retaliation. 😂
This post gives me life! 😂
My geese have been gentle as ever lately, but Charlie is a young gander.
No eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom