Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics
I feel you! My geese are my babies too.
I don’t judge other people who raise their livestock for food purposes, I’m not naive to the real world and people’s livelihoods, but my goose babies are mine and I can choose who they go to if at all.
As it is I’ve only ever given away two goslings that turned out to be a bad expierience. They didn’t specify what would become of them but they live in the same town and every time I bumped into them after that they made a point to tell me that they were going to eat them. Like I said other people’s birds are their business so long as they aren’t abused, but constantly choosing to rub it in like that was a shitty thing to do. They wouldn’t give them back either, I guess they just wanted to taunt me. I’ve always worried about those two little ones and what their lives were like with people like that.
Never doing that again.

You can also pre-screen buyers prior to breeding season, limit the number of your hatchlings by monitoring the eggs and only incubating the number of eggs/hatchlings you want.
Ugh, that sounds like a horrible time I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Also how freaking rude of them to rub it in your face like that! Sheesh, doesn't anyone know manners anymore?

I've come to the realization that there's not gonna be a way around me not having to hard-cull (aka eat) some of my geese that just don't make the cut for my breeding project. I'm personally okay with that, and I'm also okay with selling them to people with the intention of being raised for food.

I'll make sure to preface to people that "Hey, this is a very rare, critically endangered, heritage breed goose. It's fine if you want to raise them for meat, but I would highly suggest you breed them out first if you want to do that just to get the numbers up."

But once that gosling/goose leaves my farm, it's not my circus or monkeys anymore. Unless obviously, I find out that poor thing is being abused, then it is most certainly my circus and monkeys and I'm grabbing the lion tamer's whip.

So, incubation question. What's everyone using for their incubators and how is everyone doing with hatching them out themselves? Because I've had a hell of a time trying to get any babies at all. I was told by a friend that's hatched out geese before that the best way to go is to use a cabinet incubator. I've currently got a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco (IIRC, it's been a hot minute since I've pulled that thing down and used it). It hatches chicks out for me no problem but when I tried geese it... didn't go well. I tried to keep up on the humidity protocols but I'm just not sure if there's a trick to it or not?

Ugh, that sounds like a horrible time I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Also how freaking rude of them to rub it in your face like that! Sheesh, doesn't anyone know manners anymore?

I've come to the realization that there's not gonna be a way around me not having to hard-cull (aka eat) some of my geese that just don't make the cut for my breeding project. I'm personally okay with that, and I'm also okay with selling them to people with the intention of being raised for food.

I'll make sure to preface to people that "Hey, this is a very rare, critically endangered, heritage breed goose. It's fine if you want to raise them for meat, but I would highly suggest you breed them out first if you want to do that just to get the numbers up."

But once that gosling/goose leaves my farm, it's not my circus or monkeys anymore. Unless obviously, I find out that poor thing is being abused, then it is most certainly my circus and monkeys and I'm grabbing the lion tamer's whip.

So, incubation question. What's everyone using for their incubators and how is everyone doing with hatching them out themselves? Because I've had a hell of a time trying to get any babies at all. I was told by a friend that's hatched out geese before that the best way to go is to use a cabinet incubator. I've currently got a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco (IIRC, it's been a hot minute since I've pulled that thing down and used it). It hatches chicks out for me no problem but when I tried geese it... didn't go well. I tried to keep up on the humidity protocols but I'm just not sure if there's a trick to it or not?
I have no expierience using incubators, I’ve let my girls do that bit in the past and for now I’m not breeding any more....though I want to 😂

@FoodFreedomNow knows more about incubators than I do!

Ah yes, it’s breeding season and I’ve gotten some propositioning myself 😂
Truthfully it’s a good thing though, ganders are going to get hormonal no matter what and they either get territorial and aggressive towards people they don’t like or they try to get romantic with those they do like, it can’t be avoided and it’s better to be the subject of amourous behavior than the alternative. Also adding girls won’t change their behavior towards you.

Ganders can get along well with other ganders but introducing a bonded pair of ganders to a new gander or a set of ganders is a bad idea. If you really tried you could get them to get along maybe, but it would take a long time and alot of effort so I would advice getting two girls.
You could get goslings but introduce them slowly and supervise them together until the girls are feathered and are big enough to get away if they need to.

Sometimes when introducing new geese to each other if one is shyer than the rest it can get bullied out of the group so that’s something to watch for and work through if it happens, sometimes it takes another year for everyone to settle in with each other and learn to get along.
I know I’m a bit late in this thread but it’s one that it’s close to answers I’ve been looking for in introducing our newbie goslings to our almost year old flock of 1 female goose and 5 female ducks with 1 male. I had been wondering when to introduce since no age is really mentioned. I was already not confident about the introductions but after reading a couple of y’all’s posts…well I’m even more discouraged! Lol I have a small dog crate that I was going to put them in while the others meet and greet at the crate. They don’t have their feathers yet but are growing bigger pretty good. I’m guessing they are around 5 weeks old. One I think is a male for sure and the 2 newbies are bonded I think. So I was thinking just do the meet and greet supervised for short periods. The older goose could stick her neck in easily if she wants to do any harm to the youngins. Then when get much bigger and they have their feathers, advance the introduction. I’m trying to prevent any of the birds from getting hurt. (I know we can only do so much) Any suggestions, feedback or anyone want to add anything?

That really is a mean thing for those people to behave like that! Really, what’s wrong with people? I don’t blame you for wanting to avoid situations like that again. Screening buyers sounds like an awesome idea!

Hi there. I use Hova-Bator 1588s and 2370s for goose eggs due to the size of the eggs. I basically follow Pete55's Goose Incubation and Hatching Guide, particularly around misting and cooling, and I also hand turn the eggs multiple times a day. I've weighed the eggs and adjusted humidity based on the weekly weigh-ins in the past, but find that monitoring the air cell size seems to work as well - at least for me. I have smaller incubators (Brinsea Octagon 20 Advances), too, but I don't use them for goose eggs due to the proximity to the heating element and the limited capacity.

If you haven't already familiarized yourself with Pete55's guide, I recommend it. There are many variables that may affect a hatch, like age of the eggs, how they're stored prior to setting them, the age and health of the breeding gaggle, dependability of the incubator (some will have "stealth" temperature spikes, for example), for starters. What's happening when you try to incubate the goose eggs? Are you doing eggtopsies on the ones that don't hatch?

I'm waiting with bated breath for the first eggs of the season here...and then it'll be "game on" with hatching out ridiculously adorable goslings. Best of luck to you with your incubation plans!

I know I’m a bit late in this thread but it’s one that it’s close to answers I’ve been looking for in introducing our newbie goslings to our almost year old flock of 1 female goose and 5 female ducks with 1 male. I had been wondering when to introduce since no age is really mentioned. I was already not confident about the introductions but after reading a couple of y’all’s posts…well I’m even more discouraged! Lol I have a small dog crate that I was going to put them in while the others meet and greet at the crate. They don’t have their feathers yet but are growing bigger pretty good. I’m guessing they are around 5 weeks old. One I think is a male for sure and the 2 newbies are bonded I think. So I was thinking just do the meet and greet supervised for short periods. The older goose could stick her neck in easily if she wants to do any harm to the youngins. Then when get much bigger and they have their feathers, advance the introduction. I’m trying to prevent any of the birds from getting hurt. (I know we can only do so much) Any suggestions, feedback or anyone want to add anything?
It sounds like you have a good plan, supervised outings together until they start feathering then they should be big enough and used to each other enough to be together more often.

Conundrum:

I am getting my Cotton Patch trio in April. I had hoped to breed them and sell goslings. But I'm a "snowflake" and shudder at the thought of hatching babies only for folks to eat them later. Forgive my "snowflake" question, but is it possible just to sell them as pets - even though they will be high quality birds? If people decide to lie to me and eat the geese later, I'd al least be spared the thought.

IME it’s the one way Facebook can still be a great tool. I’ve rehomed several birds and it’s easy to look through peoples past posts and screen that way. On the flip side I’ve also had to provide my FB profile to buy goslings and sign an agreement that they would be pets only, although unlike dog breeding contracts there wasn’t a stipulation that they would take the geese back if it didn’t work out 🤷🏻‍♀️

IME it’s the one way Facebook can still be a great tool. I’ve rehomed several birds and it’s easy to look through peoples past posts and screen that way. On the flip side I’ve also had to provide my FB profile to buy goslings and sign an agreement that they would be pets only, although unlike dog breeding contracts there wasn’t a stipulation that they would take the geese back if it didn’t work out 🤷🏻‍♀️
I can do that. No problem. I'm not planning on going crazy with breeding. This is a good option, for sure. Thanks!

Awww!!! Silly goose! Poor thing, I'm glad you were able to save him from the horrible bucket. Today Max, Bruni, Elsa, and Helga we're showing off how "tough" they were by constantly hissing at my mom and I as we were taking straw and feed through their pen to the others.

The way I have the pens set up there's an exterior door at their pen, and then one on the other end of the run, everything's interconnected. (I probably should draw up a layout).

View attachment 3410512
Speaking of, viola! This is totally not to scale, I'm not the best at making diagrams. But you kinda get the picture. Normally once breeding season starts up, I'll divy them up between the Goose run with the shed coop and the Fallout Coop and its attached run. (Which is what I've done now).

So you can see where the doors are, now because we took the car down, the way we had to get back there put us right next to the Goose Run. So we had to bring all the feed and the straw in through their pen. And were they thankful when we put an entire new bale of straw into their coop? Nooooo of course not. They continued to hiss at us and then went inside and stood on top of the straw and honked loudly!
Quaker coop? Is that a style? Or a coop for Quaker parrots? I'm pretty sure I'd forcefully blow my own ear drums if I had to listen to geese screaming and Quakers brrrr, brrr, brrrr-ing at the same time. *shudders*

Back
Top Bottom