Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics
Flying they do alright with, direction and landing seem to be more of an issue.

Reminds me of my Delphi. One time she leapt off a bank in my upper yard and flew down to the lower yard. It was such a majestic sight until I realized she was headed right for the apple tree. Poor girl clotheslined herself on a branch, flipped over and landed backwards on her face. She got up all ruffled and offended 😂

Flying they do alright with, direction and landing seem to be more of an issue.

Reminds me of my Delphi. One time she leapt off a bank in my upper yard and flew down to the lower yard. It was such a majestic sight until I realized she was headed right for the apple tree. Poor girl clotheslined herself on a branch, flipped over and landed backwards on her face. She got up all ruffled and offended 😂
The geese crack me up. They're simultaneously awkward and snobbish.

Conundrum:

I am getting my Cotton Patch trio in April. I had hoped to breed them and sell goslings. But I'm a "snowflake" and shudder at the thought of hatching babies only for folks to eat them later. Forgive my "snowflake" question, but is it possible just to sell them as pets - even though they will be high quality birds? If people decide to lie to me and eat the geese later, I'd al least be spared the thought.
Charge more than people are willing to pay to eat them. Cotton Patch are one of the smaller geese anyway, so not bred for the table as often as Toulouse. But like my Blue American Geese are $80 a gosling. If you’re stupid enough to eat them, you probably have Ocellated Turkey for Thanksgiving…

Me: okay I’m going to trust you with your buckets tonight, don’t make a mess!

My geese: sure no problem mom! “Keeps their beds nice and clean.”

Me: I’m going to leave your buckets with you again, remember no playing in the water!

My geese: will do mom! “Beds are nice and dry by morning.”

Me: okay I’m going to trust you with your buckets again but it’s snowing now so PLEASE don’t play with your water, it may be a few days before I can clean out your bedding!

My geese: sure thing mom!

“Later that night....” My geese: MIDNIGHT POOL PARTY!

Me: I’m gonna go sell these d’Anver pullets! Just gotta go through the shed with this cardboard box and put ‘em in!
Charlie the gander: So you have chosen… death.
Me: *just keeps walking while Charlie grabs my coat and beats me with his wings* is that how you define death? More like, “mild annoyance” *bops him with a box and sends him scrambling*
Wimp

Charlie the gander: So you have chosen… death.
ab372339-ad2e-427f-aaac-6f7d2716a557_text.gif

So guess who has two thumbs and 19 goose eggs in my fridge right now? THIS GUY! I had to have a conversation with Elsa because she was trying to guard her eggs. Eventually I was able to get into the coop and check them, still too cold and she wasn't sitting on them yet, so I had to pull them.

But holy mackrel the amount of eggs we're getting. (I mean I do have 7 females that should all be laying by now but still). If anyone's in PA or nearby in meet up distance that want's hatching eggs, lemme know! I'm probably gonna get some of these eggs over to my friend who said he'd be willing to try hatching some out for me.

I did check the yolk on the one goose egg I ate yesterday and it was definitely fertile so here's hoping we get a good batch of goslings this time!

My 7 month old Toulouse finally decided she was a girl…. For sure thought she was a gander. But I’ve gotten what appears to be 3 geese eggs in 3 days! Hugs eggs and have weird calcium deposits. Gives me a idea of a new layer😉
Does anyone pilgrim geese in Mo though? I’d love another girl but I would need a auto-sexing breed since I only like raising waterfowl from youngins.

Back
Top Bottom