Gaining Trust From Your Flock

Exactly. Not all medical emergencies can wait until roost time. If they're used to being handled, it makes treatment so much easier. Plus, my guys aren't in bed and settled until after 10:30 and I'm fast asleep by then. Even then, they'll fly off the roosts and cause a ruckus so I prefer handling them during the day. Getting them to wander over to me while I'm on the ground is stress-free for me and for them.
Very true. I want to be able to handle them throughout the day so if an emergency needs my attention. I may be able to do it the same day instead of waiting for the vet to open the next day

You don't even want to know the horrors of my last chicken emergency, but I will share it anyway. I found a broody silkie with my lawnmower, had to rip two cockerels off her and then get her sequestered. Called the vet procured lidocaine and moved her to the home surgical suite after a good epsom salt soak and debridement. I most likely did the crudest wing amputation in documented history but she is fine and back to free ranging. They do keep us on our toes.

Oh my god what an awful experience that must’ve been!! I love my silkie dearly I would be devastated. Glad shes okay

My flock's issue, aside from Marek's, is bumblefoot. I swear my property used to be a glass factory. After a heavy rain I have to rake the run to get rid of any glass that has come to the surface. I really need dig out their run and put down new dirt and sod.

Two of my heavy breed roosters have chronic bumblefoot. It's a bastard injury to deal with. The vet and I are just exhausted from dealing with it.
I have glass around my yard too. It’s everywhere. Luckily it hasn’t caused any issues as of yet but my girls always dig it up somehow

Hello,
I’m a relatively new chicken owner and would love some tips on making my chickens a bit more friendly. I have a silkie that loves to be held and follows me around the yard. The rest want nothing to do with me. I have 2 Wyandotte’s, 4 silkies, 1 easter egger and 1 Rhode Island Red. Does anyone have some tips on making their chickens trust them?
Someone on another thread (wish I could remember who! ) recommended raisins as a treat. My 3 month olds are still skittish about being picked up even though they enjoy being held. Raisins did the trick. I keep a handful in my pocket and they only get the raisin if they come to me. Even with that, some breeds and some personalities just aren't cuddly. I have a mixture of several different breeds and they've all been handled since they were a day old. They'll eat from my hand and love milling around where I'm sitting but for some when I pick them up it sounds like they're being tortured. Oh well, I'm okay with cuddling the cuddly ones as long as I know they'll all come to me and allow me to pick them up!

I handle mine after dark, which is between 8:30 and 9 around here right now, because sitting on the ground during the day just isn't an option here in Tick and Chigger Central USA!

Back
Top Bottom