Gaining Trust From Your Flock

Emilyjones1997

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello,
I’m a relatively new chicken owner and would love some tips on making my chickens a bit more friendly. I have a silkie that loves to be held and follows me around the yard. The rest want nothing to do with me. I have 2 Wyandotte’s, 4 silkies, 1 easter egger and 1 Rhode Island Red. Does anyone have some tips on making their chickens trust them?

- I use special treats - live meals worms work great - and hand feed them.
- Spend time with them. I sit on the ground with my flock and they'll wander over to hang out. Other times I'll pull up a chair, open a beer, and watch Chicken TV.
- Let them help you with chickens chores - like cleaning the coop. Mine love to kick the bedding around for me.

You can't force them to like you. Some are happier to hang out with their person than others. It's important that you are able to at least handle them should you need to address any sort of medical issue.

- I use special treats - live meals worms work great - and hand feed them.
- Spend time with them. I sit on the ground with my flock and they'll wander over to hang out. Other times I'll pull up a chair, open a beer, and watch Chicken TV.
- Let them help you with chickens chores - like cleaning the coop. Mine love to kick the bedding around for me.

You can't force them to like you. Some are happier to hang out with their person than others. It's important that you are able to at least handle them should you need to address any sort of medical issue.
Agreed.. that is my biggest concern. I want to be able to pick them up and check on them to see if they’re eating enough and don’t have any medical issues and if a problem did arise I’d like to be able to treat it.

Agreed.. that is my biggest concern. I want to be able to pick them up and check on them to see if they’re eating enough and don’t have any medical issues and if a problem did arise I’d like to be able to treat it.
Picking them off the roost is always easy after the sun sets. That was the first lesson I learned keeping them. Well besides the parts about they need warmth, food and water.

Exactly. Not all medical emergencies can wait until roost time. If they're used to being handled, it makes treatment so much easier. Plus, my guys aren't in bed and settled until after 10:30 and I'm fast asleep by then. Even then, they'll fly off the roosts and cause a ruckus so I prefer handling them during the day. Getting them to wander over to me while I'm on the ground is stress-free for me and for them.

You don't even want to know the horrors of my last chicken emergency, but I will share it anyway. I found a broody silkie with my lawnmower, had to rip two cockerels off her and then get her sequestered. Called the vet procured lidocaine and moved her to the home surgical suite after a good epsom salt soak and debridement. I most likely did the crudest wing amputation in documented history but she is fine and back to free ranging. They do keep us on our toes.

My flock's issue, aside from Marek's, is bumblefoot. I swear my property used to be a glass factory. After a heavy rain I have to rake the run to get rid of any glass that has come to the surface. I really need dig out their run and put down new dirt and sod.

Two of my heavy breed roosters have chronic bumblefoot. It's a bastard injury to deal with. The vet and I are just exhausted from dealing with it.

Back
Top Bottom