Integrating chicks.

EChicky

Songster
Jun 14, 2023
I know that there are a lot of threads about integration out there, but my case is a little different. I currently have two pullets living in a small coop outside. They are 8 weeks old ( an Easter egger and lavender Orpington). I have five chicks in a larger coop and they free range around the yard. The two groups can see each other but the younger chicks seem absolutely horrified of the older ones. They run and hide when they come by. I have one chicken ( named tiny * she is NOT tiny 😂) who is a Rhode Island Red who can be a bully. I am worried that these chicks will be pecked by her, especially since the lavender Orpington is the size of a 5 week old chick. Do you have any integration tips? Should I wait until the Lavender Orpington gets bigger?

It's perfectly natural for younger chicks to be afraid of older ones. And it's natural for older ones to bully the smaller ones. But chicks are perfectly able to deal with this.

You've done well to install all the chicks in proximity to one another so they can learn to know their temperaments. It only takes a week for them to identify the bullies.

Next step is to open small openings (more than one for safety) in the younger chicks' pen so they can come out and mingle and return when they get tired of coping with the pecking order or if chased by a bully. They are very quick to learn they are safe to run back inside their enclosure. I've used this system for fifteen years, and have not ever had any injuries when integrating, starting when the chicks are as young as two or three weeks.

The best feature of this method is that the younger chicks can eat ans drink in peace and safety in their own enclosure. You don't mention the age of the older ones. If they are too close to the size of the younger ones, the openings into the safe enclosure may allow the older ones to intrude on the younger ones, in which case, I would just continue to raise them side by side and try integrating them when both groups reach the same size.

Is there a way that you can create an opening in the baby pen that is large enough for them to get out if they want to, and small enough to keep the older babies out if they need to escape?
I have a little vertical sliding door in my divided brooder so I can let the littles come and go w the older babies as they see fit...
Otherwise, a safe spot that they can escape behind or under if they are getting bullied might help?

My last single duckling had a rough time integrating w our slightly older buddies we got for her.
The drake plus one other hen were horribly mean to her and it took a long time of having their pens next to each other (sharing a fence as a divider), and putting food and pools closer and closer to the fence until the older ones stopped trying to charge her through the fence, and she was willing to go eat/ swim near them.
Then I let them out to free range as a supervised group w their favorite treats tossed around for them.
At first, I thought I’d never get her integrated. She just wanted to run down the hill and try to get back with her turkey friends...
But time and patience won the day. She’s happy w her duck friends now, and doesn’t try to escape to play w the turkeys any more!
Good luck!

They are pretty small still so I'll try making a small door for them. The older chickens are 8 months to 6 yrs old. Thanks for the advice 🙂

Back
Top Bottom