Galvanized chicken feeder impaleing chicken

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
This morning, I fed my chickens as normal, and they were all standing around eating. As I was about to turn around to leave, one started to flap like crazy, and the feeder was seemingly attached to her face. I panicked. I ran over to calm her down, and I saw that a wire on the bottom of the feeder had gone through the bottom of her beak and out the side. I tucked her under my arm and I went back to the house to see what I could do. After trying to pull it, cut it with wire cutter, and trying to straigten the wire with pliers, I finally got it out by twisting her body around until it came out. She was pretty calm through the process, and even though I tried to be, I was not. I feel awful.
This is a warning to all, as I had only had the feeder for 7 months before this happened.
I’m not sure what to do about it- should I contact the company? Or just leave it be?
She is doing ok tonight and she doesn’t seem to be in pain. She can eat and drink fine, and I put antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
I didn’t think to take a picture during the whole ordeal, but I have a couple of the injury.
2AD3B66E-0EA1-4754-A0C1-C80D5F1CEA7B.jpeg

41D76373-BB95-4350-A049-A1BEBABDC5A7.jpeg

This is the wire that was sticking through her beak
591B444A-8960-4287-906D-D39CE8E803DC.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s the Harris Farms hanging feeder from tractor supply. I am pretty sure it was the 15 lb feeder. I’m not necessarily angry at them, I just think it should be looked at and corrected to prevent future incidents.
I have to say, though, I am a bit weary of buying another feeder.
This is awful! I would contact the company and let them know this can happen. What is the Maker and model?
Best,
Karen

I would take the feeder back to TSC, tell them what happened and see what they say, if anything. Take the pictures of the wound also. If they do nothing, call/contact the manufacturer and also let them know you notified TSC. Luck that wire didn't puncture her eye or esophagus. You may want to consider plastic feeder?

I would take the feeder back to TSC, tell them what happened and see what they say, if anything. Take the pictures of the wound also. If they do nothing, call/contact the manufacturer and also let them know you notified TSC. Luck that wire didn't puncture her eye or esophagus. You may want to consider plastic feeder?
Good idea about telling tsc and the plastic feeder. Thanks!
I’m so happy I was there when this happened, or it could have been so much worse.

Back
Top Bottom