Galvanized roof panel ribs, can predators get in

Chicken Chat

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Illinois
I'm working on the tunnel (its only 3 feet high on the low side and about 30 inches wide with a slant roof) that will bring the girls from the back of the coop where their chicken door is to the run in the front that is under reconstruction and I decided to use some galvanized roof panel, this kind of metal roofing to help keep the rain out and shed some snow away from the coop. One side will be against the coop shed. I was just getting ready to install it on the framing I constructed and I can't help but wonder if the wave, it's 1/2 inch, could allow predators in. I was looking under there and it seems like the rib gap could allow something to crawl in. I'm locking everything down from a recent weasel attack, so it seems silly to go to all the trouble of dismantling what I had, redesign, and install hardware cloth on everything and then leave all these holes under the roofline.
1690432912021.png

I've seen these panels on several other runs, how do you deal with the openings the ribs cause, is it large enough to make a difference? What do you plug them up with? I saw some foam closures at lowes next to the panels that belonged to a different kind of roof but nothing for this kind I bought. Besides, I would think something would make short work of foam to get in.

I'm thinking about just running hardware cloth on the top and throw a tarp over it like someone suggested in another of my posts asking if snow would make the hardware cloth sag on the larger lean to run I am looking at building. I thought the metal roof would look snazzy on the tunnel since the coop is right next to the drive and would give me some experience installing it at ground level before thinking about using it on the larger run, it would provide shade and keep the snow and rain away from the coop and keep the mud down, but I am worried about weasel infiltration so much.

I used this type of roofing, I also tried the closure strips, never worked well for me, so I used the hardware cloth and bent it upwards and attached to the roof framing, so much easier and nothing is going to get through it, also provided better ventilation all around in my honest opinion.

Of course my lowes doesn’t carry the closure strips I need. They only have the kind that is flat, then wave, then flat kind. I’ll have to see if I can find it online. I do have hardware cloth I can try to use. SchwartzLakeFarmNC- I’m having a hard time picturing what you are describing. Working in this heat is causing brain fog. Can you share an image? Here is my Simple box tunnel I’m trying to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_7364.jpeg
    IMG_7364.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 29
I'll see if I can get you a picture tonight. If you look at your outward facing board, I added a "brace" in-between the roof joints about 6 inches to give me something to staple the wire onto. I ran a small piece of hardware cloth from the inside and bent upwards to the new brace I installed,(run the wire on top of the new brace) so I had an area to attach the wiring, at this point you can cover with the roofing and you have the area protected from anything that may try and "break in". Doing this also gave me an extra spot to run my roofing panel screws into to make my panels feel stronger. I hope I didn't make things worse?

Of course my lowes doesn’t carry the closure strips I need. They only have the kind that is flat, then wave, then flat kind. I’ll have to see if I can find it online. I do have hardware cloth I can try to use. SchwartzLakeFarmNC- I’m having a hard time picturing what you are describing. Working in this heat is causing brain fog. Can you share an image? Here is my Simple box tunnel I’m trying to work with.
I could never find closure strips that fit the roofing I had. I eventually gave up.

Back
Top Bottom