Galvanized scaldig pot/risk of poisoning?

Buckshot-47

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
I need to scald both my cx's and turkeys and I can't find a pot big enough so I bought a 16.5 gal trash can thinking it would be perfect,now I don't know if I should use it after googling galvanized for food use.what should I use as a scalder? I need to harvest 26 cx's within a week or so and 12 turkeys not long after,what do you use as a scalder?I'm not into this 800+ idea for a homebuilt kimball scalder!!

I have seen many folks use a galvanized trash can .. I cant imagine that the bird ould be in the water long enough to absorb much if anything...

well i would think that u could find a use a 55gal drum thats not galvanized or lined with anything since ive seen and plan on useing some my self to make a smoker. u just might have to cut it to size since the whole 55 gal drum might be a little tall.

if you use a 50 gallon drum id make sure it was a food grade one and burn it off good and wash it and galvinzed is ok as long as you dont heat it too much because if you do it will gas off poisen

I'm not real worried about the gassing off I'm more worried about lead and other poisons in the water,rub clean galvanized steel and you'll always rub some metalic looking stuff off,thats more what I was worried about.I've got to figure this out soon though cx's are 8 weeks monday and from what I've read on here that's about time!

FDA does not recommend using any sort of galvanized containers for any food items. This is because of the zinc leaching out of the galvanization when exposed to the acids in food products. But we use a aluminum pot from a turkey fryer for the chickens, and a trash can for the turkeys. Most 55 gallon steel drums have a lining sprayed into them, burning them off removes some or all of this lining, I have no idea if that is good or bad.

both_scalders.jpg

The stand and burner for the trash can is from a smoker.

When I scalded my turks, I heated the water in my canner and stock pots. Then I poured the water over my turkey. It was in a heavy plastic tote. The kind with the rope handles. Worked very well. The water is hot, but not boiling, so the plastic worked fine.

If you are going to butcher on a regular basis over time it is worth eventually getting a 20 gallon or larger stock pot. The aluminum ones are much more affordable than steel and completely serve the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom