galvanized waterers

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
I switched to the galvanized waterers, and I'm having a problem with getting the water to refill as the chickens drink it. Every time I go outside, it's really low, and I have to jiggle it to get it to refill. Any suggestions?

I sure hope you get an answer, I have the same problem!!
fl.gif

My waterer rusted! Now I don't know if it's safe to use. WIll the extra iron from the rust hurt them? The rust is on the inside. The bottom part! Ughh! It's not rusted all the way through, but it's still rust there! What to do??

I'm having just the opposite problem. About half the water runs out before it stops. What's the use of filling one up, hauling it all the way to the coop, and then standing there and watching the water pour out? Any suggestions?

If you put a crimp in the middle of the handle, it should hang straight.

I was very excited to finally have galvanized metal feeders and waterers. The feeder is fine. The waterer, so far, has NOT lived up to my expectations.

I asked DH the same thing. Ours stays about 1/2 full all the time. He seems to think that's fine.

However, I remember the guy at the farm store saying that the copper thingy(?) can be adjusted by either pushing it in a little or pulling it out a little to control the flow. Guess that's why it's made of copper and that's probably what needs to be done to ours. I'm going to try it at least.

I'm surprised that those types of waterers are still made!
It's an old style that even in the old days didn't work well.
The small plastic ones are great for chicks though.

For adults, nothing I've seen is better than a big dogbowl
up on a 12" high platform.
The platform must be big enough to allow chickens to hop up on it.
Use a 2x4" wire mesh snug around the bowl.
Water stays clean and it's easy to refill once a day.

spot

Back
Top Bottom