Gambel Quail Anyone??

CountryMom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
South Texas
Was wondering if anyone here breeds them. My husband and I are trying to come up with a plan on the quail for the spring. Right now I have Mexican Speckled and Bobwhites. Are the Gambels anything like these?

My aviary will be done in a week or so and I will be building breeding cages to go inside. I am hoping to set up some roll out egg cages for the bobs. Will that work the same for the Gambels?

edited to clarify above

Last edited:
Quote:
I have had this species in the past, they are really fun bird to have around. They are very active birds (some would call nervous, but actually can become quite tame) and always on the move. A longer aviary is best along with lots of cover, branches, and rocks for them to use.

Males can sometimes be aggressive towards each other, but the larger the aviary will help. I kept three males with 6 hens in an aviary that was 24x8x8 with no problem. Have always kept this species on the ground with good sanitation.

A roll-out, battery cage would be a prison for these active birds.

For aviary ideas, gbwf.org page on Gambel's Quail - http://www.gbwf.org/quail/gambel.html

Dan

Thanks for the link! Sounds like I need to wait until spring when the flight pens are done. My aviary now being built will be more like the wire cage set up and not on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom