Gamble egg hatching questions

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I’m getting some gambel eggs in today and I have a few questions just to be sure I’ve got everything set up right. I’ve got a nurture right 360 set at 99.5 and 45% humidity (the little control window is open all the way), and I’ve confirmed those numbers with two Govee Bluetooth thermometer/hygrometers that I calibrated. Is everything right with those numbers for gambel hatches in your experience, and if humidity should be a bit lower what would be a reliable way to get it down a bit?

Then I’ve heard they’re supposed to hatch at 22-23 days and lockdown is day 20 according to a chart I saw. Should lockdown be on day 20 or start a few days sooner?

I know I’m supposed to then leave them pointy end down for 24 hours. Is that basically just saying have them upside down? I saw one article that said to put them in the egg foam they were shipped in upside down in a room temp room without direct sunlight. Is that a good way of doing it or is there another way that’s recommended?

So I’m getting some gambel eggs in today and I have a few questions just to be sure I’ve got everything set up right. I’ve got a nurture right 360 set at 99.5 and 45% humidity (the little control window is open all the way), and I’ve confirmed those numbers with two Govee Bluetooth thermometer/hygrometers that I calibrated. Is everything right with those numbers for gambel hatches in your experience, and if humidity should be a bit lower what would be a reliable way to get it down a bit?

Then I’ve heard they’re supposed to hatch at 22-23 days and lockdown is day 20 according to a chart I saw. Should lockdown be on day 20 or start a few days sooner?

I know I’m supposed to then leave them pointy end down for 24 hours. Is that basically just saying have them upside down? I saw one article that said to put them in the egg foam they were shipped in upside down in a room temp room without direct sunlight. Is that a good way of doing it or is there another way that’s recommended?
I don't know details about hatching quail, but as far as resting the eggs, that's a matter of preference. Some people do in order to let the air cells settle, some get them into the incubator right away. You could go either way. If they are resting, pointy end down, or else sideways, since in the NR360 they will be sideways too, or you could start them right away without the turner for the first bit.

Maybe others will weigh in, but I think it may come down to personal preference based on your own experience, the more hatches you get under your belt.

GL! This is exciting!

I would recommend checking again with the temp because the nurture right 360 tends to run a degree behind. I would recommend temps between 98.5-100 degrees. 43-47 percent humidity is the best humidity during regular incubation time. I would recommend humidity between 55 and 60 percent during lockdown. Lockdown is on day 20. Usually, they won't hatch until day 23-24. You will likely start noticing pips on day 22-23. I would recommend letting them sit for 24 hours out of direct sunlight. Also, do you have the quail egg turner or are you using the chicken egg turner?

I would recommend checking again with the temp because the nurture right 360 tends to run a degree behind. I would recommend temps between 98.5-100 degrees. 43-47 percent humidity is the best humidity during regular incubation time. I would recommend humidity between 55 and 60 percent during lockdown. Lockdown is on day 20. Usually, they won't hatch until day 23-24. You will likely start noticing pips on day 22-23. I would recommend letting them sit for 24 hours out of direct sunlight. Also, do you have the quail egg turner or are you using the chicken egg turner?
I’m using the chicken turner since I saw most people just using that one on YouTube for quail eggs. While they’re resting I’ll go ahead and check to be 1000% sure the govees are right with the ice bath and boiling water tests. They’ve both been spot on the times I’ve tested them after calibrating so I think they’re good but doesn’t hurt to check again. Right now they’re resting out of direct sunlight and all of them look good with no cracks so that’s looking good

Don't know what you mean by 'upside down' but they should be sitting with the pointed end down! both during the resting period and during incubation.
% Rh should be in the range of 43 to 45% during incubation. Up to 55 to 60% for hatching. Takes about 24 to 25 days for the eggs to hatch.

Don't know what you mean by 'upside down' but they should be sitting with the pointed end down! both during the resting period and during incubation.
% Rh should be in the range of 43 to 45% during incubation. Up to 55 to 60% for hatching. Takes about 24 to 25 days for the eggs to hatch.
Wasn’t quite sure how to describe it, I had meant that the pointy end was facing straight down and the fat end pointing straight up. They’re now in the incubator with the pointy end down as much as possible, but since it’s one where they lay on their side, the pointy end can only be down so much

Back
Top Bottom