gamble quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by snot, Feb 10, 2013.

1. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I have a pair of gamble quail when will they start breeding? anything I need to do to help ensure success.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Gambels will start breeding after they are 6 months of age. They are seasonal breeders/layers and generally will start up with breeding sometime between March and May, depending on where you are located, and continue thru September. They are naturally desert dwellers and need more heat to get going than other New World quail.

They do best being kept in pairs as they are highly territorial and need their own space during breeding season, keeping the pairs separate from each other. After breeding season is done in the fall, you can keep them all together for the winter covey.

They are basically kept as any other quail are, however they can be pretty skittish. So you might want to give them places to hide and feel secure, such as cut branches put in their pens, which will keep them calmer and not cause them to flush up when startled.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Twocrows thank you for the information that was what I needed to know. I will add some cover to their pen mine are very flighty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by