Gambling on Etsy

Bought some serama eggs knowing full well that I may not have any hatch. Decided what the heck. My broody bantam would appreciate it.

However, what I did not expect is USPS literally chucking the damn box over the fence like he was shooting a 3 pointer.

All the eggs are intact and look great. Now I'm just playing the waiting game. It's my first time hatching eggs so wish me luck. Lol
Definitely report the driver. Candle the eggs and see if you can see the yolk.

I candled and so far 1 has a detached air cell and it looks like a majority of them have no air cell? I don't know if I'm looking right.
This could be. I have had eggs with no air cell or it was too small to see. It means they were just laid the day before and the even better news is that the air cell can't get dislodged. The bigger the air cell the more force to rupture there is - no air cell means everything should have been cushioned well.

The air cell should form during incubation, keep the humidity on the lower side the first few days and on day 5 an air cell should have formed.

Moral of this story... USPS is not getting any better. It is a real shame to hear these similar sounding stories. :hitI feel your pain- all of it. I hope that you get at least a few to hatch and bless that breeder for being so gracious. Who are you dealing with on Etsy? Good to pass on a good referral.

I took the plunge and got a straight run of mix Brahma's because of the shipping issues to Hi. My Brahma chicks came in BEAT, it was all hands on deck for a few weeks, surprisingly only lost one. Now I have high hopes to be able to hatch stress free chicks soon. :fl :fl :fl

Best of luck to you! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Moral of this story... USPS is not getting any better. It is a real shame to hear these similar sounding stories. :hitI feel your pain- all of it. I hope that you get at least a few to hatch and bless that breeder for being so gracious. Who are you dealing with on Etsy? Good to pass on a good referral.

I took the plunge and got a straight run of mix Brahma's because of the shipping issues to Hi. My Brahma chicks came in BEAT, it was all hands on deck for a few weeks, surprisingly only lost one. Now I have high hopes to be able to hatch stress free chicks soon. :fl :fl :fl

Best of luck to you! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

I got my eggs from JoyRocksBoutique

that was very nice of the seller but wasn't really their fault.

Ours is really very nice and has gone out of their way to help us in the past, it's a small town PO and it helped that we worked to build a relationship with them so we know everyone by name and vice versa.

But I know what you mean about unfriendly post offices. Before we moved we had two other post offices nearby. One of them I am banned from ever entering the premises again because I asked them to scan my online prepaid packages for acceptance, and they refused. 😅 We had a scan sheet for 150-200 packages, I forget exactly how many but it was a lot. We had already done all the hard work of packing, weighing, printing labels. They literally only had to scan one single barcode. It was just too risky to ship without the acceptance scan because we'd had some lost in the past and we told them this as well but they still refused. So we took our packages back, were loading up the car and the post manager came running out yelling at us that we were banned for life. 😢

At our city's main PO headquarters I had one package to ship out, it was a vintage pair of paperweight thermometer hygrometers that were really pretty neat and still worked. I asked for an acceptance scan. The cashier gave me the dirtiest most annoyed look ever, scanned it for acceptance, and then calmly turned and football throw slammed it straight into a wall. Everyone in the PO at the time stopped and stared at her in shock. Two days later they arrived broken. It just broke a piece of my heart tbh, I had really liked those items... and to see what became of them...ugh. I spoke with the head master to no avail. They refused to do anything directly about the incident. So I filed a claim and reported them to the postal inspectors. Dunno if anything was ever said or done regarding the cashier because she continued to work there for years after that. She's probably retired now with benefits...
Oh definitely I know it wasn't the sellers fault. I was just informing them of what had happened so they could possibly advise or warn other customers if needed. Actually if anything she packaged the eggs so perfectly it prevented them from breaking completely! Despite being tossed not one cracked or broke.

I'm sorry to hear about that. The fact that everyone actually saw the incident occur and still nothing was done. It's so infuriating.

Update!

Three of them seem to be developing. I was so afraid I didn't want to rotate or move them so much.

I didn't notice the third egg before because it's the smallest of the bunch.

Attachments

• 20210413_065313.jpg
    20210413_065313.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210413_065340.jpg
    20210413_065340.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210413_085624.jpg
    20210413_085624.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back