game feed for starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Oceanseve, May 23, 2008.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Apparently, no one local carries non med starter, but the guy sold us game feed saying they would be fine on it. ?? True or was he just trying to get me to buy something?

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I too am interested-?????

3. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I have heard and have been told and someone here will probably say so too - gamebird feed has too high protein. Now, with that being said, that's what I feed ALL my babies whether waterfowl or chicken babies. And they all seem to thrive.... [​IMG]

4. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    That makes me feel better. I couldn't find an ingrediant list on the bag which made me kind of nervous, so I don't know what the protein level is?? Also my 8-10 week orps are getting a mix of scratch and game feed, if the protein level is too high should I switch them to grower, or do you just keep them on it till they lay?

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, that's the same question I just asked. That's the only concern I had, is the protein content. I'm using mine for cornish crosses, not only because I want the high protein, but because I don't want them on medicated feed. The gamebird starter from orscheln is only 22% protein, which is about the same as meat chick grower. They haven't died yet! LOL.....good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by