Game/show bird feed Q

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
I see bags of game bird and show bird feed in stores all the time, I wanted to know if your regular flock can eat it?
How much better is this food? Could you end up feeding less of this food, since it's better?

I free range dawn to dusk and now only have one metal feeder. They eat half of it over a few days. The floor is totally bare again[I cleaned it all out] and I scoop all the crumbles they toss, it goes back in the feeder. I'm saving a ton now that I do this. They get a lot from the 2acres they roam.

It's way "hotter" feed than you need for a flock of layers. With 17% to 20% protein and 5% to 10% fat. It also has no calcium to speak of so you would have to supplement for that. As far as eating less I don't know. They may eat more because the grains and corn taste good they might prefer it to what they find free ranging. I feed Royal high octane at $23.00 a bag they would have to eat a lot less for that to pay off. With that said yes they can eat it and it would probably increase there overall appearance and condition.

So maybe its best to mix a small amount with their regular feed all the time?
A little boost but not overkill.

Game bird feed is a mix of pellets , grains and seeds. If your planing on mixing your own feed like that I believe the pellets in game cock feed are calf-mana and alfalfa pellets (check some labels to confirm this) adding one or both of these to your current feed might be a good solution. Also do you feed crumble or pellet? I've noticed that they seem to waste less of the pellets because it's harder to toss around.

I feed crumbles, they will starve themselves on pellets. Though now that they free range from 7am to 7pm, they eat less feed and much more out from the yard. I have a bare floor, 1 metal feeder and I scoop back the feed they toss out. Which is not much anymore, since most of their food comes from them finding it. I'm loosing nearly no feed now, as well as the bag lasts much longer.

It's way "hotter" feed than you need for a flock of layers. With 17% to 20% protein and 5% to 10% fat. It also has no calcium to speak of so you would have to supplement for that. As far as eating less I don't know. They may eat more because the grains and corn taste good they might prefer it to what they find free ranging. I feed Royal high octane at $23.00 a bag they would have to eat a lot less for that to pay off. With that said yes they can eat it and it would probably increase there overall appearance and condition.
Where can you buy the royal high octane feed?

Back
Top Bottom