1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gamebird Startena "powder"

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Advocat, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Advocat

Advocat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    As I haven't been able to find it locally, I have had to order Purina Gamebird Startena for my pet quail via eBay. The latest order arrived with a LOT of "powder" in it. In other words, a lot of it is NOT in the little chunks that my adult quail can eat, but has been pulverized to powder, probably was either near the bottom of the original bag or the facts of handling and weight caused this.

Here's what I want to know: can I mix this "powder" thickly with water and let it dry -- or dry it in the oven -- and then break it up into the size crumbles that he will eat? Has anyone ever done this? I realize that I can try it and it might work out fine, but if it does is there any down-side to doing it that way in terms of the nutrition for him?

2. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

You can feed them it in powdered form. I don't see the big deal in it.
    For me Ill buy 24% turkey crumble (Chunks form) and 30% gamebird starter (Powdered form) and they prefer the chunk size but when I mainly use the powdered form they still gobble it down like nothing. There's nothing wrong with feeding them powdered form.
    Or if anything just depending on the little feeder bowl you have see if they like fermented feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by