Gamefowl mixed feed

sdm111

Enabler
10 Years
May 21, 2013
S. louisiana
Since seeing quite a few posts on gamefowl was wondering how many people mix their own and if you don't mind sharing what works for you. My recipe consists of equal parts: pigeon conditioner, race horse oats, animax, lay pellets, and half part black oil sunflower seeds. Birds love it and are thriving.

Last edited:
Since seeing quite a few posts on gamefowl was wondering how many people mix their own and if you don't mind sharing what works for you. My recipe consists of equal parts: pigeon conditioner, race horse oats, animax, lay pellets, and half part black oil sunflower seeds. Birds love it and are thriving.

I mix whatever grains and seeds i have or can get locally .
My mix right now is 1/2 part austrian peas , 2 parts wheat , 1 part whole shell corn , 1 part BOSS , 1 part whole oats , 1 part safflower seeds , 1 part sunflower hearts , one or two handfuls of shelled peanuts and also use 1 part pro plan select salmon .

On some days i switch feed from my grain-seed-salmon Mix to a wet Mix of Harrel Milling Company's chick start&grow to all chickens .

I'm very lucky to have a local feed mill that makes feeds the old fashion way with meat & fish proteins & fats , and with ground whole grains and etc .

It's amazing how healthy , robust and productive they remain year after year after year with no problems ....... i worm my birds at times , provide them with ground oyster shells and granite grit Free Choice at all times ........ plus cool water in a good shady location .

Shannon
South Alabama

Last edited:
When mixing your own feed do you think it's neccessary to vitamin and electrolyte the water? I always have just wondered how others felt, thanks

When mixing your own feed do you think it's neccessary to vitamin and electrolyte the water? I always have just wondered how others felt, thanks

personally i have never had to mix anything in their water , but if one had their birds out in the sun 'they say to use electrolytes' . I think sundried birds will never be the same no-matter what is given to them .

I would think sick birds or birds that have been neglected would need vitamins for a while .
I'm of the opinion that if we provide our birds with vitamins "they Stop utilizing the vitamins from their food" .

Now when conditioning a bird we are talking a different program .

Hope this Helps ,
Shannon

I mix whatever grains and seeds i have or can get locally .
My mix right now is 1/2 part austrian peas , 2 parts wheat , 1 part whole shell corn , 1 part BOSS , 1 part whole oats , 1 part safflower seeds , 1 part sunflower hearts , one or two handfuls of shelled peanuts and also use 1 part pro plan select salmon .

On some days i switch feed from my grain-seed-salmon Mix to a wet Mix of Harrel Milling Company's chick start&grow to all chickens .

I'm very lucky to have a local feed mill that makes feeds the old fashion way with meat & fish proteins & fats , and with ground whole grains and etc .

It's amazing how healthy , robust and productive they remain year after year after year with no problems ....... i worm my birds at times , provide them with ground oyster shells and granite grit Free Choice at all times ........ plus cool water in a good shady location .

Shannon
South Alabama
What bird feed would you recommend? I have a tractor supply near me and im wanting to mix some feed. I got layer pellets and deer corn right now.

Back
Top Bottom