games for bored chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by questions543, Oct 2, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    So I just had a feather picking problem but is now more of less under control.

I think that its because my chickens get bored... I really want them to have a bit more exitment in there lives and know that you can hang a cabbage on a string etc.. But still, Do you do have any "games" for your chickens?

What do you do/give to keep your chickens happy?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I give them piles of weeds to sort out, mostly. Anything that involves food is good. If I manage to get a good load of crickets or other bugs I let that loose near them. Very entertaining to watch! And sometimes, especially on warm days I'd take the watering can and pour some water in their run. For some reason they love chasing and pecking the little streams of water as it runs off and after it soaked away they'll have a lot of fun scratching in the wet soil.

I just found this website. It has some great ideas for chicken entertainment on it.

http://www.squidoo.com/Chicken_Toys#module36772942

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    When the leaves start falling I bag up as many as possible & throw them in the chickens run throughout winter. They love scratching through the leaves. You can throw some BOSS on the leaves & they will have a time looking for the boss.

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Fruits and veggies cut in half and tossed out to them are always a favorite of my chickens. Also redecorating, when something new is brought in or things are just rearranged they have to take time to figure it all out again. Add a big box full of dry dirt or sand for them to dust bathe in, scratch is always a favorite and keeps them busy awhile. Some people use parrot toys hooked to the side of the run or hangiing in the middle.

5. Doctor Pammie

Doctor Pammie Out Of The Brooder

Pardon my ignorance--DH and I have only had chickens since this July--but what is BOSS? And, thinking about boredom . . . does it make sense to give chickens frozen/partially thawed produce to peck on in the winter when there's not much on the ground? Does anyone have tips for how to get "reject" veggies from a grocer? I figure the big chains won't even sell it to you if it's "past its date" since they can't know what you'll do with it and they won't want to be liable. Just looking for ways to keep them happy. Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

6. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    BOSS is black oil sunflower seed. I wouldnt give them anyting frozen in winter. Just think, when you are hot you want something cold to cool you down, when you are cold you want something hot. In winter I give scratch becuase the corn takes alot of work to digest thus warming up the body. I give warm oatmeal which they love, and sometimes I moisten some feed in a bowl with warm water and they go nuts. I cut heads of lettuce or cabbage in half and toss it inand they peck at that for quite awhile. I do not know about getting past due produce that would be a good thing to look into.

7. Doctor Pammie

Thanks so much for the reply! Funny thing is when we let our chickens out to roam the other afternoon, they went to the spot under the bird feeder where the excess seed is spilled (wild bird seed). We saw them eating sunflower seeds and decided to give them some in their run, which they devoured. :) OK, no to the frozen veggies. I have frozen a lot of watermelon rind with a little melon still on it because our horses ADORE this treat. No problem feeding it to our big four-legged boys all year round, but didn't know about the hens. They love it in the summer, but I wondered about the logic of giving them cold stuff when it's cold. It would keep them busy, that's for sure! Thanks again for the explanation!

8. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I buy BOSS in the wild bird seed section and throw handfuls out to chickens, its their favorite. You can also buy bags of wild bird seed to throw as a treat for them too. Cracked corn is great for them in winter. I feed mine all the fruits and veggies in winter too just not frozen.

9. Doctor Pammie

Thanks, again! You must have an incredibly beautiful flock! I was reading the list under your signature and realized I don't even know what half those birds look like! LOL But it must be a stunning variety. We have both BOSS and regular wild bird seed since we've been feeding the wild things since way before we got our chickens, so it will be easy to just toss them some, too! Everyone on this site is so helpful!
    Have a great day!

10. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Thank you! I love variety and there are so many breeds I still want. I go thru and look for hours lol, at different breeds online. I have some pics in my album on here but have lots more to add, of my newer additions. I am trying to decide what to get next year,,,, I do love this site it has helped me alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by