Gander following me and vibrating neck (help?)

IceHax

Songster
Oct 10, 2018
northern Italy
So, I have a total of 9 geese, 6 ganders and 3 geese. Recently one of the youngest ganders (born the 24th of may 2020) started doing odd things, he seems to have a liking for my father, he will get away from the other geese to follow him wherever he goes, he will even climb walls if he goes past the gates, he will fold is neck like if you were looking towards the ground and will vibrate his feathers and breathe very heavily. He doesn’t do any of this when he is not around, he was born here naturally under his mom so he’s always been around me and my dad but this only started in the past two weeks or so. Why is he doing this? Is this normal?

So, I have a total of 9 geese, 6 ganders and 3 geese. Recently one of the youngest ganders (born the 24th of may 2020) started doing odd things, he seems to have a liking for my father, he will get away from the other geese to follow him wherever he goes, he will even climb walls if he goes past the gates, he will fold is neck like if you were looking towards the ground and will vibrate his feathers and breathe very heavily. He doesn’t do any of this when he is not around, he was born here naturally under his mom so he’s always been around me and my dad but this only started in the past two weeks or so. Why is he doing this? Is this normal?
Usually in my experience with the vibrating neck, and ruffling feathers, it would always be like an aggression thing or to threaten.

A video might be helpful, although usually when the vibration of the head is seen it usually signifies aggression/irritation in Geese.
Usually in my experience with the vibrating neck, and ruffling feathers, it would always be like an aggression thing or to threaten.

yes, I know they usually do it to threaten, some other ganders do it in the mating season, but those times it’s clear they want to hurt you, he just folds his head down and puts it against my legs and breathes heavily, and if I run away he will follow me while cackling, very lightly, as opposed to other ganders who will scream to the top of their lungs when you run away from them.

yes, I know they usually do it to threaten, some other ganders do it in the mating season, but those times it’s clear they want to hurt you, he just folds his head down and puts it against my legs and breathes heavily, and if I run away he will follow me while cackling, very lightly, as opposed to other ganders who will scream to the top of their lungs when you run away from them.
That’s interesting, I’ve never seen that before! But he seems attached? Maybe lol

That’s interesting, I’ve never seen that before! But he seems attached? Maybe lol
I think I figured it out, it looks like he’s just trying to find a mate, my dad and I were working on a gate and we were low down to the ground and he jumped on my dad’s back and grabbed him by his hat lol, I had to pull him off cause he wouldn’t let go 😂

I think I figured it out, it looks like he’s just trying to find a mate, my dad and I were working on a gate and we were low down to the ground and he jumped on my dad’s back and grabbed him by his hat lol, I had to pull him off cause he wouldn’t let go 😂
Yes! Some ganders are more "affectionate" towards humans. We had a couple that acted like this. They eventually found goose love, but still seek human affection at times.

Back
Top Bottom