Ganders sitting on nest?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cmbeall, Jan 26, 2012.

1. cmbeall

cmbeall Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    We are relatively new with our geese. We presently have two Poms and 3 Chinese or African (not sure anymorelol) We had a lone goose we were told was an African Goose but no dewlap. Then we got what we were told were a Chinese Pair. All three geese look practically identical. Their sizes vary with a first initial goose being the largest. They are also in with various breeds of ducks.

The ducks and apparently the geese started laying. Now I have two of our Chinese/African geese both sitting on nests. I have searched to find out if ganders will sit on nests. I have found no evidence that they will sit on the nests. So would it be a safe assumption that two of my Chinese/African geese are actually females????

The geese have also been laying eggs in the ducks nest. I think I should have separated them all out but now we have three nests and probably 3 geese and 2 to 3 ducks trying to sit on those three nests. We were using this season as a learning process for us.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Cathy

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ganders are devoted parents and would probably set if the geese would allow it. My goose will not come off the nest even to eat, so a gander doesn't get a turn. His job is to stand sentry duty.

If you've got birds firm on the nest, they are geese. If the gander ever gets a turn, he won't be on the nest for more than a few minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by