Ganging up on one hen

MYNSBTR

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Ocean County
Hi. Space isn't an issue, but all of a sudden one of our girls has been getting "beaten up" mostly by our 1 rooster, but by a few of the other girls as well. Can someone please tell me why this would be happening and what can I do to remedy it before she gets hurt badly (she's already gotten a few bleeding cuts). Thank you

Is she in good health? Personally, I would remove the rooster. No good flock master beats up on the hens. I would be worried that she might be killed and then he would pick another 'target'.

She didn't seem to have a problem healthwise. Now, she just looks beat up. We had them all free ranging most of the day yesterday while we were working in the yard and there were no problems. I am not sure if it's because we were out there, or just that everyone was busy roaming the yard. When we put them all back, it started again, so we took him out and left everyone else in there for the remainder of the day. He went in at bed time. This morning, she was still scared and jumped up on my shoulder at the first opportunity she got even though he wasn't going after her. I know they redo the pecking order every once in a while, but I don't think it gets this violent. He's not doing it to anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom