Gape worm or choking? 🦆

I have a 2 year old male Muscovy who recently started gasping for air and panting. Every time he seems to breathe he opens his mouth as if he can’t.He no longer hisses like other male Muscovys because he can’t, he tends to cough and wiggle his head side to side as if choking, and he lays down while the others go out foraging. We assume something could be stuck in his throat, but we also think he might have gape worms, even if it’s not common here where we live. If it’s gape worm we might be able to give him what he needs, but I want the view of others in case it could be something just stuck in his throat. 😢it pains me seeing him like this. Hopefully the video works.
Did you ever get sucess with your duck? We are having the same issue with our domesticated male duck.

Could it be respiratory? I don't remember ever hearing of eye drainage with gape worm. I have only had 1 chicken with gape worm a rooster many years ago.

https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/gapeworms
It's possible. He had all the symptoms of gape worm. I just did a round of dewormer. I am currently giving him flock fixer, he is slowly improving, but this morning has white matter in his left eye. Best news is he actually ate a little. Yay!!!!

You can make a saline rinse for the eyes there are recipes online. Rinse well them apply some Terramycin eye ointment. That's great he has eaten.

Back
Top Bottom